BOCA RATON, Fla. – Following a slow first half Sunday afternoon, Lynn University's men's basketball team opened up the scoring in the second 20 minutes as the Fighting Knights improved to 4-0 on the season with a 71-61 nonconference triumph over Ave Maria.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 71, Ave Maria 61
Records: Lynn (4-0), Ave Maria (6-2)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 3-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Darius Moore came off the bench for the first time this season, but logged a team-high 15 points on efficient shooting. He went 4-of-5 from the field, 3-of-4 from long range and hit all four of his free throws. Moore also co-led the squad with four assists.
- Sophomore Brandon Bornelus saw his first action of the new season, returning to his role as the starting point guard. He logged 13 points behind three triples and matched Moore in the assist column.
- Forwards Michael Baez and Darius James both reached double figures, scoring 10 points apiece. James added a team-high 2 blocks.
- In the post, Rasheed Worrell made all four of his attempts from the floor for eight points and led the Fighting Knights in rebounding with seven boards.
- Ave Maria's Jeffrey Steele led all scorers with 23 points, shooting 6-of-9 from beyond the arc.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Blue and White scored 45 points in the second half following a 26-18 lead at halftime.
- Today's game was countable for Lynn, but was an exhibition for Ave Maria.
- The Gyrenes were without their top scorer, Leo Behrend, who is averaging 25 points and 10.3 rebounds per game.
- Lynn had 12 players see the floor today while Ave Maria only went with a seven-man rotation.
- James played a season-high 20 minutes.
- The Fighting Knights shot a season-high 81.3% from the free-throw line (13-of-16).
- The Blue and White are 4-0 to start the season for the first time since 2014-15.
The Fighting Knights will host their conference opener this Wednesday, Nov. 28, with a 7:30 contest against Palm Beach Atlantic.