BOCA RATON, Fla. – A 7-0 start to a season is something the Lynn University men's basketball team has not seen in quite some time, and the No. 15 Fighting Knights achieved just that in dominant fashion following a 104-54 thrashing over Johnson & Wales (FL) on Tuesday night. The Blue and White are 7-0 to start the year for the first time since the 2004-05 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 104, JWU 54
Records: Lynn (7-0), JWU (0-10)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: First-ever meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Despite scoring over 100 points, the Fighting Knights only had three players reach double figures.
- Michael Baez led all scorers with 17 points, going 3-of-5 from long range and 4-of-4 at the line.
- Jamal Palmer recorded a solid all-around game with 12 points, five rebounds, four assists and a team-high three steals.
- Daniel Cooper controlled the boards, securing a career- and game-high 11 rebounds.
- Kenneth Nwachukwu came off the bench and was dialed in from the low block, logging a career-high 13 points on 6-of-7 shooting.
- Darius Moore led the squad in assists with five while going 2-of-4 from long range for nine points.
- Branden Ellis went 3-for-4 from the field and hit his only long-range attempt to finish with seven points, three assists, two steals and a block.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Earlier today, Lynn moved up to No. 15 on the D2SIDA National Media Poll. Following a 6-0 start to the season, the Fighting Knights entered the national rankings last week at No. 18 with the season's fourth announcement of the poll. Lynn had not received any votes in the first three polls of the year. With today's announcement – the fifth poll of the season – Lynn still came in with a 6-0 record, but moved up three spots for a tie at No. 15 with Missouri Southern.
- The Fighting Knights are 7-0 to start the year for the first time since the 2004-05 season. The last time Lynn won seven consecutive games at any point in a season was during the 2006-07 campaign.
- Lynn last hit triple digits in the scoring column during a 102-94 overtime victory at Florida Tech on Dec. 30, 2016. The last time Lynn hit 100+ in regulation was on Jan. 23, 2016 – a 100-89 victory at Florida Southern.
- All 15 players on the Blue and White roster saw action, with 11 Fighting Knights finding the bottom of the net. Only three players scored in double figures, however.
- This was the first-ever meeting between these two teams.
- Tonight was a countable game for the Fighting Knights, but an exhibition for the Wildcats.
- Moore came into the game leading the country in 3-point shooting percentage (60.6%).
- Javon Taylor and Gibson Louis saw their first career action as a Fighting Knight. Freshmen Taylor (6) and Max Zegarowksi (8) registered the first points of their collegiate careers.
The Fighting Knights host a rare 10:30 a.m. game on Monday, Dec. 17, against Bluefield St.