BOCA RATON, Fla. – Long-range shooting woes troubled the Fighting Knights throughout but the 15th-ranked Lynn University men's basketball team pulled through in the end for a 75-63 nonconference victory over Bluefield State College on Monday morning. The Blue and White improve to 8-0 for the first time since 1998-99.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #15 Lynn 75, BSC 63
Records: #15 Lynn (8-0), BSC (4-7)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: First-ever meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Following a slow start, Brandon Bornelus bounced back in the second half to finish with a team-high 16 points behind a 4-of-8 effort from long range.
- Jamal Palmer was hot early, ending with 13 points, two boards and a steal.
- Michael Baez was the final Fighting Knight in double figures, scoring 12 points including an 8-of-8 performance at the charity stripe. He just missed out on the double-double with a team-high nine rebounds, while adding three assists and a block.
- Ryan Peterson provided a much-needed spark off the bench in the second half, scoring all nine of his points in the final 20 minutes. He was 4-for-4 at the line and added three helpers.
- Daniel Cooper was key defensively with three steals and a couple of big charges drawn. He tacked on six points, shooting 3-for-5 from the field.
- Rasheed Worrell logged seven points and seven rebounds while leading all players on the floor with two blocks.
- Darius Moore was unusually cold from beyond the arc (1-for-5) but his four assists were a game-high.
- BSC's Teyon Henry led all scorers with 18 points, with 12 of them coming at the free-throw line (12-of-15).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights are 8-0 to start the year for the first time since the 1998-99 season.
- The last time Lynn won eight or more consecutive games at any point in a season was during the 2004-05 campaign (12-game streak).
- Lynn is currently ranked No. 15 nationally on the D2SIDA National Media Poll. Lynn is receiving votes on the National Association of Basketball Coaches Poll.
- This was the first-ever meeting between these two teams.
- Lynn has scored 75+ points in four straight outings.
- The Fighting Knights survived a season-low 28.0% 3-point shooting clip (7-of-25).
Lynn is back in action this Wednesday, Dec. 19, with a 7 p.m. nonconference matchup against Caldwell University.