BOCA RATON, Fla. – A trio of impressive individual scoring performances guided the 15th-ranked Lynn University men's basketball team to an 84-76 Sunshine State Conference victory on Wednesday night, improving the Fighting Knights' record to 11-0 on the season. Michael Baez, Darius Moore and Brandon Bornelus all scored 18+ points.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #15 Lynn 84, Saint Leo 76
Records: #15 Lynn (11-0, 4-0 SSC), Saint Leo (4-9, 1-4 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 37-11
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Baez came out of the gates hot, going 4-for-4 from long range in the first half. The senior wing finished with a game-high 24 points, shooting 8-of-12 from the field, 4-of-5 from downtown and 4-of-5 at the line.
- Bornelus utilized a strong night at the charity stripe (8-8) en route to 20 points, including a 2-of-3 effort from long range. The point guard dished out a game-high seven assists.
- Moore continues to provide a spark off the bench, dropping in 18 points on 7-for-12 shooting from the field. His two steals were a team-high.
- Daniel Cooper was the only player on the floor to hit double figures in the rebounding column, hauling in 10 boards – including five on the offensive glass.
- Rasheed Worrell and Darius James both corralled seven rebounds apiece. James also swatted away a game-best two blocks.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights are 11-0 to start the year for the first time since the 1998-99 season.
- The last time Lynn won 11 or more consecutive games at any point in a season was during the 2004-05 campaign (12-game streak).
- Lynn is currently ranked No. 15 nationally on the D2SIDA National Media Poll. Lynn is receiving votes on the National Association of Basketball Coaches Poll, sitting one spot outside the rankings at No. 26.
- Senior Jamal Palmer scored five points tonight, giving him 999 in his Lynn career.
Lynn hits the road for a tough matchup this weekend, traveling to Florida Southern on Saturday, Jan. 5, for a 7:30 p.m. league contest.