Lakeland, Fla. – The 15th-ranked Lynn University's men's basketball team fell to seventh-ranked Florida Southern in an 88-84 Sunshine State Conference overtime battle on Saturday night, giving the Fighting Knights their first loss of the season. Four Fighting Knights scored in double figures in the contest while senior Jamal Palmer recorded the 1,000th point of his Lynn career.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final (OT): #7 Florida Southern 88, # 15 Lynn 84
Records: #15 Lynn (11-1, 4-1 SSC), #7 FSC (11-2, 3-2 SSC)
Location: Jenkins Fieldhouse | Lakeland, Fla.
All-Time Series: FSC leads 39-14
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Michael Baez finished with a team-high 21 points and nine rebounds. In 39 minutes of action, he shot 3-for-6 from long range and 8-of-9 at the free-throw line.
- Palmer scored 18 points behind a 7-of-8 effort from the charity stripe while contributing five boards and two steals.
- Brandon Bornelus and Rasheed Worrell both added five points and three rebounds apiece. Bornelus dished out a game-high six assists.
- Darius James and Darius Moore chipped in 10 and 12 points, respectively. Moore dished out three helpers, while James had five boards.
- Daniel Cooper made his lone shot from the field and was 2-for-3 from the line. He was tied for a team-best with nine rebounds.
- The Mocs outrebounded the Fighting Knights 24-15 in the first half and 50-39 throughout the game.
- No team had a lead larger than six in the game (Lynn with 15 seconds to go in the first half).
- There were 12 ties and 20 lead changes in the game.
- Lynn's bench outscored FSC's bench, 31-3.
- Florida Southern's Jonathan Lawton led the game with 42 points, marking the highest-scoring game from an SSC player this season.
- In a physical battle, there were 49 combined fouls in the game. Bornelus and Cooper fouled out in overtime.
- Florida Southern was 1-3 from beyond the arc in overtime; Lynn did not attempt a three-pointer in the final five minutes.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- 27 made free throws is a season-high for the Blue and White as team. It is the most for the squad since they made 32 at Rollins on Mar. 2, 2016.
- Lynn came into the game ranked No. 15 in the D2SIDA poll and just outside the national rankings in the National Association of Basketball Coaches poll at No 26. FSC is ranked No. 7 by the NABC and No. 25 by D2SIDA.
- Last season, Florida Southern ended Lynn's season with an 80-70 win in the SSC Tournament.
- Lynn's record falls to 11-1, which ends an 11-game winning streak, the best to start a season since 1998-99.
- With a 3-pointer in the first minute of the game, Palmer recorded his 1,000th career point. He currently stands at 1,017 career points and is the 12th player in program history to notch 1,000 career points.
- This was the first game all season the Bornelus did not make a 3-pointer (first time since Dec. 30, 2017 at Saint Leo).
- Lawton's 42 points for FSC was a career-high.
The Fighting Knights continue their SSC schedule on the road against Embry-Riddle on Wednesday, Jan. 9. Tip is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. and fans can watch live at LynnFightingKnights.com.