BOCA RATON, Fla. – What a night for Jamal Palmer. The senior was honored before the game for reaching 1,000 career points and would end up being the hero at the final buzzer for the 14th-ranked Lynn University men's basketball team on Wednesday night as he banked in the game-winner with 0.5 seconds left in a 72-71 Sunshine State Conference victory over Barry University. The Blue and White notched their first regular-season victory over Barry since 2012-13.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 14 Lynn 72, Barry 71
Records: Lynn (15-2, 8-2 SSC), Barry (10-7, 5-5 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Barry leads 30-26
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Palmer finished with 18 points – none bigger than the final two. He tacked on five rebounds, an assist and a steal.
- Playing all but one minute, Michael Baez led the offense with a game-high 24 points behind a clutch 12-of-16 performance at the free-throw line. He also controlled the glass with a game-high nine boards while swatting one of Lynn's two blocks.
- Darius Moore received his second consecutive starting nod and rounded out Lynn's trio in double figures with 10 points.
- Daniel Cooper filled out the hustle portion of the box score with eight rebounds – four offensive – and a career-high-tying three steals.
- Ryan Peterson chipped in eight points, six rebounds and two steals off the bench. He was also the only Fighting Knight with multiple assists (2).
- Johannes Dolven led the Bucs in scoring and rebounding (8) off the bench, tallying a career-high 22 points. He scored 17 points in the second half.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn picks up its first victory over Barry since the 2014-15 NCAA Tournament and the first regular-season win over the Bucs since the 2012-13 campaign.
- Palmer was recognized pre-game after scoring his 1,000th career point for Lynn on Jan. 5 at Florida Southern.
- The Fighting Knights improve to 11-0 at home this season.
- In this week's national rankings, Lynn is tabbed No. 14 (highest ranking this season) in the D2SIDA National Media Poll and No. 17 in the NABC Coaches Poll.
- Baez's 24 points are one shy of his career-high, which he notched earlier this season in a win over Florida National.
- Baez matched his career-high of 12 made free throws, set four games ago, while posting a new career-high in trips to the line (16).
- Barry's bench outscored Lynn's, 39-12.
- Each of Lynn's past four wins have come by four points or less.
- Lynn dished out a season-low eight assists.
- The Fighting Knights went 6-of-25 from beyond the arc, marking the third game this season with six or less made triples in a game.
Lynn will look to improve to 12-0 at home this season with a 4 p.m. contest vs. Rollins this Saturday, Jan. 26.