Saint Leo, Fla. – The 14th-ranked Lynn University's men's basketball team defeated the Saint Leo Lions 74-71 in a Sunshine State Conference road battle on Wednesday night. The Fighting Knights were led by Michael Baez, who scored 13 of his team-high 22 points in the final nine minutes of play.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #14 Lynn 74, Saint Leo 71
Records: #14 Lynn (18-3, 11-3 SSC), Saint Leo (10-12, 7-7 SSC)
Location: Marion Bowman Activities Center | Saint Leo, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 37-11
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Baez finished with a team-high 22 points and 11 rebounds. In 34 minutes of action, he was a perfect 10-for-10 from the free throw line and added six points from long range.
- Jamal Palmer scored 17 points with nine coming from the stripe (82%). He was 2-for-4 from beyond the arc.
- Darius Moore went 6-for-10 from the field and 3-for-6 from long range for 15 points while adding a team-high four assists.
- Starting bigs Rasheed Worrell and Darius James added nine and five points, respectively. James brought down a team-best nine boards, while Worrell corralled seven and had three blocks.
- Saint Leo's Kyran McClure finished with a game-high 26 points, shooting 37% from the field and 50% from beyond the arc.
- The Fighting Knights shot 85.2% from the free throw line (23-for-27).
- The Blue and White out-rebounded the Lions 49-27. Lynn had 17 offensive boards while Saint Leo only had six.
- Neither bench scored more than 10 points in the game (Lynn – 6, SLU – 9).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This was the 14th double-double of Baez's collegiate career and second at Lynn (Jan. 20, 2018 vs. Tampa).
- Palmer has scored 15+ points in 10 games this season; he only did it in nine games last season.
- Lynn's 85% free-throw shooting is the second best for the squad this season (93% at Embry-Riddle). 23 made free throws are the most in a win this season.
- Baez becomes the 19th player in the SSC this season to make 10 or more free throws in a game.
- Lynn's six blocks are the most for the team in a conference game this season.
- Last time out against the Lions, Lynn had three scorers that scored 18+ points. Baez was the only one tonight.
- The 36.7-shooting percentage is the second lowest for the team on the road this season (Jan. 5 at Florida Southern).
- Nine out of Lynn's last 10 games have been decided by five points or less.
- James earned his first start since his redshirt-freshman season (2016-17).
- The Fighting Knights are currently nationally ranked in both polls, coming in at No. 14 on the D2SIDA National Media Poll and at No. 21 on the NABC Coaches Poll.
The Fighting Knights are off this Saturday before returning home on Wednesday, Feb. 13, to host Embry-Riddle. Tip is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center.