BOCA RATON, Fla. – The 20th-ranked Lynn University men's basketball team is heading back to the semifinals of the Sunshine State Conference Tournament for the first time since 2015-16 as the second-seeded Fighting Knights took down No. 7 seed Palm Beach Atlantic in the quarterfinal round at home on Wednesday night, 75-64.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 75, PBA 64
Records: #20 Lynn (23-5), PBA (13-16)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 17-11
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Michael Baez led all players on the floor in scoring for the third consecutive game, shooting 8-of-16 from the floor and 6-of-9 at the free-throw line for 24 points. He added five rebounds, three assists and a block.
- Jamal Palmer matched his career-high from beyond the arc, knocking down five 3-pointers on 10 attempts in a 22-point effort. He rounded out a solid night with five boards, three assists and two blocks.
- Rasheed Worrell was a force down low tonight, hauling in 13 rebounds with a game-high four blocks. He tacked on four points on 2-for-4 shooting with a pair of helpers.
- Darius Moore was efficient in his shooting, knocking down a pair of treys for 10 points off the bench.
- Daniel Cooper corralled nine rebounds, including four on the offensive glass, and added five points.
- Jules Jasmin led PBA on the offensive side of the ball with 15 points and 10 offensive rebounds (12 total rebounds).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's 23-5 overall record this season marks the most wins for the program in a campaign since 2004-05.
- Baez scored 18 of his 24 points in the second half. He was 7-of-10 from the field in the second stanza, compared to 1-of-6 in the first half.
- Baez has scored 15+ points in 17 of his last 19 games and has six 20+ efforts in his last eight outings.
- Worrell matched his career-high in blocks and was one shy in rebounding.
- The Fighting Knights' defense swatted a season-high nine blocks; the most for the program since an 11-block effort in 2015.
- In this week's national polls, the Fighting Knights are ranked No. 20 by D2SIDA and No. 22 by the NABC. The program has been nationally ranked for 13 consecutive weeks.
- The Fighting Knights are the No. 2 seed in the SSC Tournament with the Sailfish tabbed as the No. 7 seed.
- Lynn has entered the SSC Tournament as the No. 6 seed for three consecutive years before this season.
- With the win, the Blue and White return to the semifinals of the league playoffs for the first time since the team upset third-seeded Rollins in the 2015-16 quarterfinals.
- The program is looking for its first SSC Tournament Championship since 2005 and second overall.
The Blue and White will head to Fort Lauderdale as Nova Southeastern University hosts the final two rounds of the SSC Tournament. Lynn and Florida Southern are slated to square off in the semifinals at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 9.