Fort Lauderdale, Fla. – An early deficit Saturday afternoon didn't shake up a veteran Lynn University men's basketball squad as the No. 18 and third-seeded Fighting Knights are through to the NCAA Division II South Region Tournament Semifinals with an 81-69 victory over sixth-seeded University of Alabama in Huntsville.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 81, UAH 69
Records: #18 Lynn (24-6), UAH (24-8)
Location: Rick Case Arena | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 4-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Michael Baez had another one of his signature second-half scoring outbursts, finishing with a game-high 22 points. He shot 8-of-14 from the field and 6-of-8 from the free-throw line while ranking second on the team in rebounds (7).
- Brandon Bornelus looked like his old self, dropping in 17 points with a 6-of-7 effort at the charity stripe.
- Jamal Palmer was also solid at the line (6-6), adding 14 points and four rebounds.
- Rasheed Worrell rounded out Lynn's scorers in double digits, tallying 11 points, with nine coming in the opening half.
- Darius Moore tacked on nine points off the bench while leading the team in both rebounds (8) and assists (4).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Baez has scored 20+ points in three of the last four games.
- Bornelus' 17 points are his most in a game since Jan. 9.
- The Blue and White were solid at the free-throw line, shooting 85.7% (24-28). The team's 24 makes are the second most in a game this season.
- Lynn has won all four games against UAH in the series history, dating back to 1995.
- The Fighting Knights are making their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament since 2014-15. That year, Lynn made it to the South Region Championship, before falling to eventual national champions Florida Southern.
- In the 2014-15 NCAA South Region First Round, No. 6 seed Lynn upset No. 3 seed UAH, 80-62.
- In this week's national polls, Lynn is ranked No. 18 by D2SIDA but fell just outside of the rankings in the NABC Coaches Poll.
Lynn is right back at it tomorrow, Sunday, March 17, taking on second-seeded Florida Southern for the fourth time this season. The tipoff for the South Region semifinal matchup is slated for 5 p.m. from the campus of Nova Southeastern in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.