Fort Lauderdale, Fla. – The 18th-ranked and third-seeded Lynn University men's basketball team is Sweet 16 bound for the first time in five years after upsetting Sunshine State Conference foe, second-seeded and 14th-ranked Florida Southern College, 88-78 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday. The Blue and White were led offensively by Michael Baez and Darius Moore, who were both perfect from long range, as the team had its best long-range shooting effort in nearly 10 years.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 88, FSC 78
Records: #18 Lynn (25-6), #14 FSC (25-8)
Location: Rick Case Arena | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Series History: FSC leads 40-16 (teams split series 2-2 this season)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Baez continued his dominance on the court against the Mocs, scoring a game-high 35 points. He was a perfect 3-for-3 from beyond the arc and an impressive 10-for-10 from the free-throw line. The senior finished one rebound shy of a double-double and added a game-high three steals to his line.
- Moore finished first among non-starters in the game with 23 points, shooting 90% from the floor (9-of-10), including 4-of-4 from three-point land.
- Jamal Palmer saw a team-high 38 minutes of action and went 6-for-11 from the field for 14 points. The senior also totaled two steals.
- Starting bigs Daniel Cooper and Rasheed Worrell finished with eight and nine boards, respectively. Worrell added 11 points and two blocks.
- Brandon Bornelus, Palmer, Cooper, and Moore all finished with three assists for the Blue and White.
- The Fighting Knights shot 75% from beyond the arc (9-for-12).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The team's 75% three-point shooting mark is the highest for Lynn's squad in a game this season and the best long-range clip for the program since an 8-of-10 effort (80%) on Dec. 10, 2009.
- No other team has shot better than 75% from long range in this season's tournament. It is also the best mark by any SSC team throughout this entire season.
- Baez has scored 20+ points in four of the last five games.
- Moore's 23 points are his second-best output this season (28 at NSU).
- Baez and Moore each shot 100% from beyond the arc for the first time this season.
- Palmer has scored exactly 14 points in each of his last three games.
- Head coach Jeff Price is now 4-1 in the NCAA Tournament since coming back to Lynn in 2013-14.
- This is the fifth trip to the Sweet 16 for the Fighting Knights program since they joined the NCAA in 1997 ('97, '98, '05 and '14). It is the fourth trip for Lynn under Price.
- Lynn led for 36:02 in today's game and only trailed for 1:16.
- In the four games against the FSC Mocs this season, Baez averaged 27.5 points per game. He scored a career-high 38 points in Lynn's win during the regular season.
- Both regular-season games in the series went into overtime and were decided by four points or less, with the home team winning each contest. In the postseason, neither game between the teams have been decided by less than nine (FSC beat Lynn 74-65 on March 9 in the SSC Tournament Semifinals).
- In 2015, Lynn and Florida Southern faced in the NCAA South Region Championship (Sweet 16). The Mocs defeated the Fighting Knights 88-80 and later became National Champions.
- In this week's national polls, Lynn is ranked No. 18 by D2SIDA but fell just outside of the rankings in the NABC Coaches Poll. FSC is ranked No. 14 by D2SIDA and No. 25 in the NABC Coaches Poll.
The Fighting Knights return to the hardwood on Tuesday, March 19, at 7 p.m. to face the Nova Southeastern Sharks in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., for the NCAA South Region Championship. The winner advanced to the NCAA Elite Eight in Evansville, Ind. If fans cannot make it to Rick Case Arena on Tuesday night, they can watch live on LynnFightingKnights.com.