Howie-in-the-Hills, Fla. – Playing with only a four-man lineup, Lynn University's men's golf team held on to win the Super Regional D2 South/Southeast Preview on Tuesday afternoon. Manuel Torres and Martin Cancino logged top-five finishes.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Howie-in-the-Hills, Fla. | Mission Inn Golf & Tennis Resort – El Campeon
History at Course: Last played in 2013 at NCAA South/SE Super Regional placing fifth
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot 308 as a team for a 54-hole total of 880, two shots better than Chico State (882).
- Mateo Gomez withdrew in the middle of the final round due to an injury, leaving the Fighting Knights without a score to drop.
- Top-ranked Saint Leo (891) finished third followed by Nova Southeastern (893) and Florida Southern (895) in the top-five.
- Manuel Torres finished as the runner-up individually with a three-round score of 215.
- Cancino posted Lynn's lowest round of the day with a 75, shooting 220 overall to take fifth place.
- Jose Miranda tied for 13th at 226 and Elliott Whitley had his best round of the tournament, a 76, to finish with a 230 score.
- Andres Tancred tied for 35th with a 231 total.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Torres' total is the second-best of his career. He finished tied for second with Cancino in par 4 scoring (E) and was tied for fifth in par 5 scoring (-4). Additionally, he tied for the tournament lead with 14 birdies.
- Tancred tied for sixth with 35 pars made.
- This is the second tournament victory of the season for Lynn having won the McDonough Cup in October.
The Fighting Knights participate in the Gary Freeman BCU Spring Invite in Daytona Beach, Fla., beginning on Thursday, March 3. Log on to LynnFightingKnights.com for more details.