Daytona Beach, Fla. – It has been a grueling week which has seen Lynn University's men's golf team play 108 holes in five days. The Fighting Knights, though, can rest easy following their second consecutive tournament victory, taking first place in the Gary Freeman B-CU Spring Invitational. Martin Cancino won his first career tournament with teammates Jose Miranda and Manuel Torres finishing second and third.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Daytona Beach, Fla. | LPGA International – Jones Course
History at Course: First appearance at course and tournament
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot its third consecutive round under par, posting a 283 on the day to finish the tournament with a 23-under par 841.
- Morehead State (862) came in second place followed by neighbor Florida Atlantic (867) in third, host Bethune-Cookman (873) in fourth and Stetson (875) in fifth.
- Cancino ended the 54-hole tournament eight-under par (208) to claim his first career tournament win.
- Miranda was one-shot behind his teammate with a 209 and Torres closed out play with a 211 to finish in a tie for third.
- Mateo Gomez logged a 218 total to tie for 12th and Elliott Whitley rounded out the starting five with a score of 220.
- Andreas Tancred was the top finisher among the individual golfers and tied for 12th with a score of 218 separate from the team.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn's 841 is the second lowest 54-hole total of the season and in program history.
- Cancino's 208 ties him for the ninth lowest individual 54-hole score in school history.
- Lynn has won three tournaments this season, tying for the third-most for a single season in program history.
- The Fighting Knights led the field in par 5 scoring (-22), par 4 scoring (+1) and par 3 scoring (+7) and birdies (59) and was second with 169 pars.
- Cancino was first in total birdies (15) and par 5 scoring (-8) while Torres was tied for the lead in par 4 scoring (-3).
The Fighting Knights are on the links next at the Southeastern Collegiate at Kinderlou Forest GC in Valdosta, Ga., beginning on Sunday, March 13. For more details, visit LynnFightingKnights.com.