Valdosta, Ga. – Two victories in five days gave Lynn University's men's golf team some much needed rest but the squad was back to the grind after a nine day layoff and is tied for fourth after the first round of the First Federal Southeastern Collegiate.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Kinderlou Forest Golf Club | Valdosta, Ga.
History at Event: 19 consecutive years (Four runner-up finishes; last 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot a two-over par 290, tying with Nova Southeastern. Florida Southern holds the lead after the first round with a two-under par 286, followed by North Alabama (287) and Saint Leo (288).
- Mateo Gomez birdied the first hole he played and then bogeyed the next. He then played mistake free golf the rest of the way, with 14 pars and two birdies to shoot a two-under 70.
- Coming off his first career victory, Martin Cancino also sank 14 par putts and mixed in two birdies and two bogeys for an even par 72.
- Both Jose Miranda and Manuel Torres logged scores of 74 while Elliott Whitley shot a 78.
INSIDE THE SCORECARD:
- Gomez is one of six golfers tied for third and is just two shots back of the lead.
- Cancino is tied for 15th individually.
THE NEXT LINK:
Lynn is back in action for round two when it is paired with Nova Southeastern and West Florida. The squad tees off at 9:16 am from hole No. 1 and can be followed live at LynnFightingKnights.com.