Eatonton, Ga. – For the fourth time in seven years Lynn University's men's golf team found itself winning the Bobcat Invitational while Jose Miranda won his first career tournament.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: The Golf Club of Cuscowilla | Eatonton, Ga.
History at Event: Seventh consecutive year participating (won three times; last 2013)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- No. 8 Lynn (864) entered the final round with a 13-shot lead and closed out the day shooting a 297 to take the title by seven strokes over fifth-ranked Florida Southern (873). Sixth-ranked Barry (874) placed third while No. 4 Nova Southeastern & No. 3 West Florida (875) tied for fourth. Second-ranked Saint Leo (879) placed just outside the top-five.
- Miranda was tied with FSC's John VanDerLaan at the start of the day but pulled away from the Mocs golfer with a final round 71. His total of 210 was three shots better than VanDerLaan and West Georgia's Barrett Waters.
- Elliott Whitley finished ninth with a 54-hole score of 217 after a final round 75.
- Mateo Gomez was third on the team with a 220 total to tie for 20th, followed by Martin Cancino (222) and Manuel Torres (224).
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- This is the Fighting Knights fourth victory of the year, giving head coach Andrew Danna 13 tournament titles since taking over the program in 2012.
- Lynn has won the Bobcat Invite four times: 2016, 2013, 2011 and 2010.
- Miranda wins his first career tournament and posts his ninth top-10 finish, which ties him for 11th in program history.
- Elliott Whitley has finished in the top-10 13 times in his career, tying him for fifth in school history.
- Miranda was the only golfer to shoot par.
- Miranda is the second men's golfer to win the Bobcat Invitational, joining former teammate Daniel Young (2012).
- Of the 17 teams in attendance, seven are ranked in the nation's top-10 and a total of 10 are within the top30.
- Whitley, Cancino and Gomez were tied for fourth with 36 pars made over the course of the tournament and Miranda led the field in par 4 scoring (-2).
The Fighting Knights are back in action on Monday, April 4, when they take part in the Buccaneer Invitational in Miami Beach, Fla., on the Nordmany Shores Golf Course. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.