Miami Shores, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team shot eight-under par as a team and holds a one stroke lead at the Buccaneer Invitational. Mateo Gomez is also atop the leaderboard as the Fighting Knights look to take top team & individual honors for the second consecutive tournament and fourth time this year.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Normandy Shores GC | Miami Shores, Fla.
History at Event: Ninth appearance (won twice; last 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn (560) shot a nine-under par 275 in the opening round and closed out the first 36-holes of competition eight under par. The squad is one shot ahead of Johnson & Wales (561) and two in front of fifth-ranked Nova Southeastern (563). Host Barry (565) is fourth while Valdosta State and Central Missouri (566) are tied for fifth.
- Mateo Gomez holds the overall lead with a seven-under par 135. He fired a six-under 65 to start the day and ended with a 70.
- Manuel Torres is tied for 16th with a 141 (69-72).
- Martin Cancino is one stroke behind his teammate after logging rounds of 70-72.
- Jose Miranda and Andreas Tancred logged scores of 144 and 146.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Six teams ranked in the top-25 are participating in the Buccaneer Invitational.
- Lynn won this event at Normandy Shores in 2015 and in 2006 when the tournament was held at Hillcrest Golf and Country Club.
- Tancred is tied for seventh in par 3 scoring (-1) and Gomez tied for fourth in par 4 scoring (-1) and par 5 scoring (-5).
- Miranda is tied for second in total pars (26).
The Fighting Knights will be looking for their fourth victory of the spring and fifth for the 2015-16 season when they begin the final round of the Buccaneer Invitational on Tuesday, March 5. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.