Key Biscayne, Fla. – Despite whistling wind throughout the day, Lynn University's men's golf team found a way and is tied for first place at the 2016 Sunshine State Conference Championship. Martin Cancino is second individually with Jose Miranda tied for fifth.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Crandon Bay at Key Biscayne | Key Biscayne, Fla.
History at Event: 19th consecutive year (Three victories: 2015, 2006 & 2004)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn poste a 10-over par 298 as a team and shares the lead with Saint Leo heading into day two of competition. Florida Southern and Nova Southeastern (306) are tied for third with host Barry and Florida Tech (308) tied for fifth.
- Cancino was atop the leaderboard for much of the day after shooting three-under par through the first nine holes. The back nine caused some trouble with two bogeys in the first four holes but an eagle and birdie brought him back to four-under. Unfortunately, two more bogeys dropped his score to a two-under par 70.
- Miranda logged the most pars on the day for the Fighting Knights with 12 and added two birdies and two bogeys for a two-over par 74.
- Mateo Gomez and Manuel Torres logged scores of 77 apiece. Gomez shot birdie-par on his last two holes while Torres shot was the opposite as par-birdie.
- Elliott Whitley had the final score for Lynn at 82.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn has won three Sunshine State Conference Championships in its history: 2015 2006 and 2004.
- The Fighting Knights are looking to become the sixth school in conference history to repeat as champions.
- The Blue & White have had 14 SSC All-Championship recipients (finishing top-5), including at least one in each of the last three years.
The Fighting Knights will tee off in round two of the Sunshine State Conference Championship beginning at 10 a.m. on the 10th hole of the Crandon Golf at Key Biscayne.