Key Biscayne, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team separated itself from the pack to take first place by 11 strokes heading into the final day of the 2016 Sunshine State Conference Championship. Three Fighting Knights are within the top-10, headlined by Martin Cancino who is tied for first individually.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Crandon Bay at Key Biscayne | Key Biscayne, Fla.
History at Event: 19th consecutive year (Three victories: 2015, 2006 & 2004)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue & White showed a five-stroke improvement from round one, with a tournament-best score of 293 in the second round. Lynn has a 591 total, 11 shots better than second place Saint Leo (602). Florida Southern (606) and Florida Tech (607) each moved up a spot to third and fourth while Nova Southeastern (614) dropped to fifth place.
- Cancino was on cruise control for much of the afternoon. After bogeying his second hole of the day, he would connect on nine pars and two birdies over his next 11 holes. Unfortunately, he ended the day with a bogey and double on two of his last three holes to finish with a two-over par 74. His even par 144 total is tied with John Coultas (Fla. Southern) for first place.
- Elliott Whitley made some big adjustments from the opening round, improving 11 shots to fire a one-under 71. Whitley recorded 15 pars, two birdies and a bogey.
- Manny Torres moved into a tie for fifth place following an even par 72. The sophomore was two-under par through 16 holes until a triple bogey pushed him to one over. A birdie on his final hole, his fourth bird of the day, gave him his 72.
- Jose Miranda had a split scorecard. On his first nine holes he bogeyed six holes while his last nine showed four birdies. He finished with a 76.
- Mateo Gomez was the final player and he shot his second consecutive round of 77.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Cancino and John Coultas are the only golfers in the field shooting par.
- Cancino is also looking to become the second men's golfer in Lynn history to win the SSC Championship. Keir McNicoll (2004) was the only other golfer to accomplish that feat.
- Lynn has won three Sunshine State Conference Championships in its history: 2015, 2006 and 2004 and is looking to become the sixth school in league history to repeat as champions.
- Torres is leading the field in par 4 scoring at two-under par, the only golfer under par.
- Cancino is tied for the lead in par 3 scoring (E) and is second in par 5 scoring (-4).
- Whitley is first in total pars with 24 while Cancino and Torres are tied for third with seven birdies.
The Fighting Knights will attempt to win their fourth men's golf conference title, and No. 35 overall for Lynn University, when they tee off tomorrow beginning at 10 a.m. from the 1st hole. Fans can keep up with the action shot-by-shot at LynnFightingKnights.com.