Key Biscayne, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team won its second consecutive, and fourth overall, Sunshine State Conference Championship on Tuesday afternoon. The Fighting Knights never relinquished the lead throughout the 54-hole event. Manuel Torres improved each day on the third-most difficult municipal course in America to claim the top individual honors, making him the second golfer in program history to win the league championship.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Crandon Bay at Key Biscayne | Key Biscayne, Fla.
History at Event: 19th consecutive year (Four victories: 2016, 2015, 2006 & 2004)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Owning a 11-stroke lead heading into the final day of competition, the Blue & White saw their lead dwindle to as few as five strokes after nine holes but used a strong push over the final six holes to claim the title.
- Lynn shot 296 in the third round and finished with an 887 total, 12 shots better than Saint Leo (899).
- Florida Southern took third with a 908, followed by host Barry (922) and Florida Tech (928).
- Torres mixed in five birdies, three bogeys and 13 pars to finish with a two-under par 70. He steadily improved throughout the three days with scores of 77-72-70 for a 219 total.
- Martin Cancino, co-leader after the second round, posted a 77 to record a 221, tying for second individually.
- Mateo Gomez picked up his game on the final day, improving five shots from his previous rounds for an even par 72. He finished 10th overall.
- Elliott Whitely and Jose Miranda rounded out the Fighting Knights contingent, recording scores of 230 apiece.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- This is the fourth SSC Championship for the men's golf program – 2016, 2015, 2006 & 2004.
- Lynn has now won 35 conference championships in total since joining the league in 1998.
- The Fighting Knights were the only school to shoot under 300 in all three rounds.
- Lynn is the sixth school in SSC history to win consecutive conference championships.
- Manny Torres becomes the second men's golfer to win an individual conference championship (Keir McNicoll – 2004).
- Torres and Cancino are the second duo to finish first and second at the conference championship (McNicoll/Hoyt McGarity – 2004).
- Torres' 70 tied for the lowest round of the day (Saint Leo's Liam Aimsworth) and tied for the second-lowest round of the tournament.
- Manuel Torres becomes only the seventh golfer to win the championship with a score above par.
- Torres (-4) was the only golfer to finish under par on par 4 holes.
- Three Lynn players were under par on par 4 holes: Cancino (-4), Gomez (-2) and Torres (-2).
- Whitley led the field in total pars (35) while Torres had a tournament-best 12 birdies.
- Joining Torres and Cancino on the SSC All-Tournament Team were: Niclas Weiland (Barry), Ryan Gendron (Saint Leo) and Shanren Brienen (Florida Tech). All five finished in the top-five.
- This is the second consecutive year Lynn has placed at least two golfers on the All-Tournament team, fourth consecutive year at least one member of the Fighting Knights made the All-Tournament Team and the fifth time Lynn has had multiple all-tournament team honorees.
Lynn looks to qualify for the NCAA South/Southeast Super Region Tournament, which takes place May 2-4, in Howie-in-the-Hills, Fla., at the Mission Inn Country Club. For more information log on to LynnFightingKnights.com.