Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team closed out the opening day of the 2016 NCAA Division II South/Southeast Regional in second place on Monday, two strokes behind the leader but nine strokes ahead of third place. Manuel Torres tallied a seven-under 65 and is in a tie for first place individually.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Mission Inn Golf and Tennis Resort - El Campeon | Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla.
Par/Yardage: 72/6,928 yards
History at Event: 14th consecutive year in the NCAA Tournament
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Lynn posted a six-under 282 as a team, trailing only West Florida (280) heading into day two of competition. Limestone and Columbus State are locked in a tie for third at three-over (291) while conference foes Barry, Florida Southern and Nova Southeastern all round out the top-eight teams in the field of 20.
- Torres, tied for first place at seven-under (65) with Chandler Blanchet out of West Florida, utilized a strong back-nine performance to climb to the top. Torres birdied four straight holes, including five of the last six, to garner some momentum heading into the next round.
- Martin Cancino started off the day hot, eventually closing out the round in a tie for seventh at two-under. He tallied five birdies on the day and ranked at the top of the Par-4 average leaderboard with Torres.
- Jose Miranda, Mateo Gomez and Elliott Whitley (73, 74, 75) all finished within a stroke of each other to round out the Blue & White lineup.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- The Fighting Knights posted a round-best 23 birdies on the day and had the best average on Par-4 holes. Torres logged 10 of Lynn's 23 birdies, four more than any other golfer in the field.
- Torres' 65 ranks in a tie for the fifth-best 18-hole score in program history.
- Lynn came into the tournament as the top-seeded team.
- The top five teams and the top two student-athletes not with a team from each regional (regardless of region) will advance to the finals May 17-21, at Green Valley Ranch in Denver, Colorado.
The Fighting Knights return to the links tomorrow morning, May 3, for the second of three rounds.