Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team closed out the second day of the 2016 NCAA Division II South/Southeast Regional in first place on Tuesday, one stroke ahead of West Florida. Manuel Torres tallied a 71 after a 65 on Monday and sits in a tie for first place individually.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Mission Inn Golf and Tennis Resort - El Campeon | Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla.
Par/Yardage: 72/6,928 yards
History at Event: 14th consecutive year in the NCAA Tournament
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn posted a six-under 282 as a team on Monday and followed that with a 292 performance on Tuesday.
- Torres, tied for first place at eight-under (136) with Chandler Blanchet out of West Florida, now claims 15 total birdies for the tournament, more than any other individual player.
- Martin Cancino added three strokes to total 143 through two rounds and is currently in a tie for eighth individually.
- Jose Miranda and Elliott Whitley (148) are tied with one another for 26th, while Mateo Gomez is eight strokes behind.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- The Fighting Knights posted a round-best 23 birdies on the day on Monday and added 17 more on Tuesday to remain tops in the field in that category.
- West Florida (575) sits directly behind Lynn, while Florida Southern (577) and Saint Leo (578) are both within striking distance.
- Lynn came into the tournament as the top-seeded team.
- The top five teams and the top two student-athletes not with a team from each regional (regardless of region) will advance to the finals May 17-21, at Green Valley Ranch in Denver, Colorado.
The Fighting Knights return to the links tomorrow morning, May 4, for the final of three rounds.