Howey-in-the-Hills Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team won its second tournament in a row with a first-place finish at the 2016 NCAA Division II South/Southeast Super Regional on Wednesday, finishing one-under for the tournament to stay three strokes ahead of second-place Saint Leo. Manuel Torres utilized a strong opening round and remained consistent throughout the event to finish atop the individual leaderboard for the second consecutive postseason competition. With the win, the squad punches a ticket to the NCAA National Championship for the fourth consecutive year.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Mission Inn Golf and Tennis Resort- El Campeon | Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla.
Par/Yardage: 72/6,928 yards
History at Event: 14th consecutive year in the NCAA Tournament
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue & White put together a 289 total as a unit on Wednesday, ending tournament play with an 863 to take home top honors.
- Torres earned his second tournament victory in as many outings, shooting a 70 in the final round of action for a three-day total of 206, holding off Florida Southern's John Coultas by one stroke.
- Jose Miranda posted his best round of the event on Wednesday (70) fueled by start-to-finish consistency, garnering a 218 total to finish in a tie for 13th.
- Martin Cancino closed out at 220 overall to snag 19th place.
- Mateo Gomez thrived in the final round with a 72 tally on the day, concluding the tournament in a tie for 36th (226) with teammate Elliott Whitley.
- On the team leaderboard, Saint Leo (866) took second place, followed by Florida Southern (868) and West Florida (874).
- For the second consecutive tournament, Torres has earned top honors on the individual leaderboard. He also claimed first at the Sunshine State Conference Championship two weeks ago to help his squad hoist back-to-back titles.
- The Blue & White led the tournament in birdies with 51 and also led the way on Par 3 averages.
- This is the fourth year in a row the team has advanced to the NCAA National Championship.
- The last year that the Fighting Knights won the regional title was 2010-11.
- Lynn, Saint Leo, Florida Southern, West Florida and Barry all now advance to the NCAA National Championship. Individually, Richard Mansell (Nova Southeastern) and Griffin Brown (Limestone) will also advance on to Denver.
The Blue & White will now focus its attention on preparing for the NCAA National Championship that commences on May 16-21 at Green Valley Ranch in Denver, Colo.