Denver, Colo. – Cold weather, rain and wind were no match for Lynn University's men's golf team in the opening round of the NCAA Division II National Championship but a difficult final hole of the day pushed the squad to eighth place on Tuesday. Mateo Gomez and Elliott Whitley carded rounds under par.
INSIDE THE EVENT:
Location: Green Valley Ranch Golf Club | Denver, Colo.
History at Event: Fourth consecutive appearance and ninth overall (national runner-up in 2015, 2013 & 2011)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot a three-over par 291 as a team and is in eighth place heading into the second round. The Fighting Knights, though, gave away six shots on the 18th hole.
- Saint Leo (278) leads the field followed by Chico State and Florida Southern (282), Central Oklahoma (288), Barry (288), Wilmington (289), Oklahoma Christian (290) and Lynn in the top-eight. The top-eight teams after 54-holes of play advances to match-play.
- Mateo Gomez logged the low round for the Blue & White, shooting a two-under par 70. He connected on four birdie putts and had two bogeys.
- Elliott Whitley was next on the team. He also logged four birdies with three bogeys.
- Manuel Torres and Martin Cancino carded identical rounds of 75 and combined for five birdie putts. Torres was even par heading into the final hole until he closed out the day with a triple-bogey. Prior to No. 18, he had three pars and a birdie in the four holes.
- Cancino was one-under through 13 holes but bogeyed holes 14 & 17 and also found trouble on the 18th hole with a double-bogey.
- Jose Miranda posted a 76 but was impressive after starting four-over par through his first seven holes. The senior out of Ecuador logged 11 consecutive pars to end the round.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Gomez (T-12th) and Whitley (T-17th) are just outside the top-10 individually.
- The Fighting Knights were three-under par over 17 holes as a team but six-over par on No. 18.
- The squad was tied for fifth in par 3 (+3) and par 4 (+3) scoring and total pars (58).
Lynn continues its quest for a national championship when it tees off in the second round of the NCAA Division II Spring Festival starting at noon MT from the 10th hole. Fans can keep up with live stats at LynnFightingKnights.com.