Denver, Colo. – Lynn University's men's golf team moved up the leaderboard for the second consecutive day, tying for fourth place to advance to the NCAA Division II National Championship match play. Lynn becomes the first school in NCAA D2 history to qualify for match play five times.
INSIDE THE EVENT:
Location: Green Valley Ranch Golf Club | Denver, Colo.
History at Event: Fourth consecutive appearance and ninth overall (national runner-up in 2015, 2013 & 2011)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn started the day in sixth place (4-under par) and shot a two-under par 286 as a team to move into a tie with Barry (858). The Fighting Knights earned the No. 4 seed in match play as a result of the aggregate drop score total versus the Buccaneers but will square-off against BU in the quarterfinals.
- Saint Leo earned the top seed with the lowest score of 838. The Lions take on No. 8 Wilmington (Del.) after it outlasted three teams for the final spot with an 866 total.
- Chico State (850) is the No. 2 seed which will battle No. 7 West Florida (864) while No. 3 Florida Southern (851) matches up against No. 6 California Baptist (863).
- Mateo Gomez continued his solid play throughout the 54-hole stroke play, ending the day with five birdies and two bogeys for a three-under par 69. The junior out of Cali, Colombia, was three-under through the first nine holes and shot even par on the back nine. Gomez tied for fifth overall with a 208 total.
- Elliott Whitley and Manuel Torres each tied for 27th. Whitley shot a two-over 74 but was impressive with his long drives, including hitting the green in one on the par 4 no. 4 and 14 holes. Torres started off rocky with two bogeys and a bird through five holes but came back strong on holes 10-15, logging four birdies. An unfortunate double-bogey on No. 18 gave him a one-under par 71. Both golfers finished with even par 216s.
- Martin Cancino and Jose Miranda put forth strong efforts, each tabbing scores of 73. Cancino collected two birdies, a bogey and double-bogey while Miranda nabbed two birds and three bogeys.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Since match play was instituted at the Division II level in 2011, Lynn has made a NCAA-best five match play appearances. Barry, Nova Southeastern and Chico State each have four appearances.
- The Fighting Knights are the only team to qualify for match play in each of the last four years and joins Nova Southeastern (2012-15) as the only institutions with four consecutive years of match play.
- Head coach Andrew Danna is now tied with Barry's Jimmy Stobbs and Chico State's T.L. Brown for the most match play appearances for a head coach with four.
- With his top-10 finish, Mateo Gomez was named to the NCAA Championship All-Tournament Team, joining Daniel Young as the only Fighting Knight with two top-10 finishes at the national championship.
Lynn begins play in the quarterfinals against Barry in match play at 7:30 a.m. from the 10th hole. Here are the matchup pairings:
7:30 - Martin Cancino v. Jack Allard
7:40 - Elliott Whitley v. Nico Cavero
7:50 - Mateo Gomez v. Mike Anderson
8:00 - Manuel Torres v. Kyle Brey
8:10 - Jose Miranda v. Niclas Weiland
Match play consists of each golfer going head-to-head against each other with the lowest total score earning one point to the best of five points. In the case of a tie, the team with the lowest aggregate score wins.
The winner of Lynn/Barry face the winner of Saint Leo/Wilmington (Del.) immediately following the conclusion of the quarterfinals match.
Fans can keep up with the match live at LynnFightingKnights.com.