Reunion, Fla. – The start of the 2016-17 Lynn University men's golf season started off with an amazing drive down the fairway as the Fighting Knights hold a one stroke lead after 36-holes at the NCAA DII Preview. Three members of the Blue & White are within the top-10, led by Mateo Gomez and Andreas Tancred.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Location: Reunion, Fla. | Reunion CC – Watson Course
History at Event: Second consecutive appearance and third overall (8th place in 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook -/LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights posted consecutive rounds of 280 for a 16-under par 560 total. Lynn holds a slight one-stroke lead over Florida Southern (561) and seven shot advantage over West Florida (568). Nova Southeastern (569) and Florida Tech (572) round out the top-five.
- Mateo Gomez was flawless on the links in the opening tournament of the year, connecting on five birdies and 31 pars without a bogey. He is tied for fifth with a 139 total.
- Andreas Tancred overcame three bogeys and a double bogey in the opening round to knock down six birdies. He then sank five more birdies in round two to end the day with a five-under par 139.
- Felix Kvarnstrom carded consecutive rounds of 70 in his first career tournament. The freshman golfer ended the opening 18 holes with three consecutive birdies and carried those good fortunes into the turn with three more birdies over his final nine holes. He is tied for ninth.
- Martin Cancino began the day with seven birdie putts through the first 18 holes en route to a 69 before ending the day with a 142 total to tie for 16th.
- Freshman Carlos Bustos was the last of the starting five, shooting rounds of 72-74 for a two-over par 146.
- Manuel Torres joined the Fighting Knights as an individual and started the day with a rocky 76 but quickly regained his form in the latter part of the afternoon. Torres would go on to shoot a three-under par 69, which included six birdie putts.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn leads the entire field in par 4 (-1) and par 5 (-15) scoring as well as total birdies (41).
- Gomes has a tournament best 31 pars while Tancred and Cancino are tied with the second-most birdies (11).
- A victory at the D2 Preview would give head coach Andrew Danna the 16th while at Lynn, tying a school record.
- With a top-10 finish, Gomez would move into a tie for fifth place all-time at Lynn with 13.
The Fighting Knights are back on the course for the conclusion of the NCAA D2 Preview beginning with an 8:30 shotgun start. Fans can keep up with live stats at LynnFightingKnights.com.