Reunion, Fla. – In what could be a preview of things to come this season, Lynn University's men's golf team took first place out of 18 teams at the NCAA Division II Preview. Mateo Gomez, Felix Kvarnstrom and Martin Cancino each logged top-10 finishes.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Location: Reunion, Fla. | Reunion CC – Watson Course
History at Event: Second consecutive appearance and third overall (8th place in 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook -/LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Holding a one-shot lead heading into the final day of competition, the Fighting Knights (845) logged a three-under par 285 to claim the three stroke victory over Florida Southern (849). West Florida (855) claimed third place followed by Missouri-St. Louis (859) and Barry (861) and Saint Leo.
- Gomez put out his third consecutive sub-par round, shooting a two-under 70 to place sixth overall.
- Felix Kvarnstrom started his collegiate career the right way, posting a five-under par 211 to tie for seventh.
- Martin Cancino collected Lynn's third top-10 finish with a three-under par 213 to tie for 10th.
- Andreas Tancred just missed out on his first career top-10 with a final round 75 to give him a 54-hole score of 214.
- Carlos Bustos was solid throughout his first career tournament as the freshman added a 219.
- Manuel Torres was the top finisher among all individual competitors, tying for 15th, following a second consecutive three-under par 69 to close out the tournament with a 214 total.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn's 845 team score ties for the fourth-lowest 54-hole total in program history.
- Gomez's sixth place finish moved him into a tie for fifth place at Lynn with 13 career top-10 finishes.
- For the tournament, Gomez connected on eight birdies, 45 pars and only one bogey.
- Lynn led the 18 team field in par 4 (+1) and par 5 (-21) scoring, was second in total birdies (54) and was third in total pars (177).
- Gomez led the field in par 4 scoring (-5) and total pars with Cancino second in par 5 scoring (-9) and tied for fourth in total birdies (15).
- Torres and Bustos were two of eight golfers to log an eagle during the tournament.
- Head coach Andrew Danna won his 16th career tournament, tying him with former coach Chris Greenwood for the most in program history.
The Fighting Knights return to action when they take part in the Guy Harvey Invitational at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. Competition begins on Monday, Oct. 10. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.