Seaside, Calif. – Despite traveling across the country, Lynn University's men's golf team is locked in a battle for first place with local rival Nova Southeastern after 36-holes at the Otter Invitational. The two squads are separated by three strokes while freshman Felix Kvarnstrom is four shots back of the individual lead.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Seaside, Calif. | Bayonet and Blackhorse Country Club
History at Event: Fourth appearance (won in 2005)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn started the day with an even par 288 before ending its 36-hole endeavor with a two-over par 290, finishing two-over par on the day. Nova Southeastern (575) has a three-shot lead over the Fighting Knights (578). Host CSU-Monterey Bay is third (582), followed by CSU-East Bay (585) and Western Washington.
- Kvarnstrom is three-under par and tied for fifth individually. He shot a bogey-free, three-under 69 over the first 18 holes and later an even par 72.
- Fellow freshman Carlos Bustos is knocking on the under-par door. He ran into trouble on the opening nine holes, shooting two-over, but the Chilean would fire two-under par over the next 27 holes to finish with an even par 144 and a tie for ninth place.
- Andreas Tancred is next on the squad after shooting a three-over 147 followed by Manuel Torres, who posted a four-over par 148, despite seven birdie putts.
- Mateo Gomez is the final man on the starting five squad with a five-over par 149.
- Martin Cancino sank a birdie putt on his first hole of the day and was clean until a bogey on No. 9. He birdied after the turn but ended the first round with two bogeys, a birdie and par to finish even par. Cancino would eagle to start the next 18-holes only to bogey three of the next five holes. He rallied back with three birdies on the back nine for a second consecutive even par 72. He is tied with Bustos for ninth.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn leads the field in total pars (114) and par 3 scoring (E) and is second in total birdies (31) and tied for third in par 4 scoring (+16).
- Busto's shares the lead in par 4 scoring (-3) with Cancino tied for second in par 5 scoring (-6) and Kvarnstromg tied for fifth (-4).
- The freshman Busto also has a tournament-best 10 birdies.
- Six teams from the Golfstat top-25 are in attendance: No. 1 Lynn, No. 11 Nova Southeastern, California Baptist (No. 19), Chico State (No. 20), Sonoma State (No. 23) and CSU-East Bay (No. 24).
- With his next team victory, Andrew Danna will become the winningest coach in program history.
Lynn University looks to make up ground on the final day of competition of the Otter Invitational beginning with a shotgun start at 8 a.m. Fans can keep up with live stats at LynnFightingKnights.com.