Seaside, Calif. – Lynn University's men's golf team overcame a three-stroke deficit at the start of the final round to win the Otter Invitational by five strokes over host CSU-Monterey Bay. The victory was number 17 for head coach Andrew Danna, giving him the most tournament victories in program history.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Seaside, Calif. | Bayonet and Blackhorse Country Club
History at Event: Fourth appearance (won in 2005)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn was the only school to shoot under par on the final day of competition, posting a one-under 287 en route to an 865 three round total. The Fighting Knights jumped past Nova Southeastern (871), who finished third behind CSUMB (870) by one stroke. CSU-East Bay (883) claimed fourth while Simon Fraser (886) rounded out the top-five.
- Four Fighting Knights finished within the top-10, led by freshman Felix Kvarnstrom, who ended competition in third place with a 54-hole score of three-under par 213. After his opening round 69, Kvarnstrom shot consecutive rounds of 72.
- Three members of the Blue & White shared eighth place with freshman Carlos Bustos and seniors Andreas Tancred and Martin Cancino all shooting scores of 217.
- Bustos logged rounds of 73-71-73, Tancred 72-75-70 and Cancino 72-72-73.
- Cancino was playing separate from the squad as an individual.
- Mateo Gomez had his best round of the tournament, shooting an even par 72 to finish with a three round score of 221, while Manuel Torres ended with a 225, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Andrew Danna collects his 17th tournament victory in his fifth year as head coach of the Fighting Knights, surpassing former coach Chris Greenwood, who helmed the Blue & White for seven seasons.
- Only the third coach in the program's illustrious history, Danna is also the only coach to win multiple Sunshine State Conference titles.
- Lynn led the tournament field in par 3 scoring (E) and total birdies (51) while finishing second in par 5s (-15) and third in par 4s (+28).
- Tancred led all golfers in par 3 scoring (-3), followed by Mateo Gomez (-2), with Kvarnstrom and Cancino tied for second in par 5 scoring (-6) and Bustos lead the field with 15 total birdies.
- Lynn has won its first two tournaments of the season for the first time in program history while the two wins is the most in the fall since the 2011-12 season.
- This is the second time Lynn has claimed the Otter Invitational title after taking first place in March of 2005.
The Fighting Knights are back on the links at the rescheduled GolfRank Invitational hosted by Nova Southeastern at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla, on Monday-Tuesday, Oct. 24-25.