Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team won its third straight tournament after shooting a three-round total of 869 at the GolfRank Invitational, hosted by Nova Southeastern. Mateo Gomez and individual Manny Torres both ended the invitational tied for seventh overall.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Location: PGA National | Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
History at Tournament: 11th consecutive appearance at PGA National (won in 2010)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn (869) took home first place, edging out conference rival Barry by two-strokes followed by Johnson & Wales (879), Keiser University (883), Palm Beach Atlantic (888), Nova Southeastern (889), Florida Southern (892), Queens University of Charlotte (N.C.) (905), Wilmington (DE) (925) and Eckerd (945).
- Gomez and Torres, who played as an individual, were both a part of a four-way tie for seventh place after the duo shot a three-round total of 217.
- Felix Kvarnstrom tied for 12th, scoring a 219 54-hole tally.
- Carlos Bustos carded a 72 on the day for an invitational total of 222, tying him for 17th place.
- One stroke behind him was Andreas Tancred, ending the invitational tied for 19th.
- Shaving ten-strokes off his second round was Martin Cancino, posting a final round score of 69, tying him for 26th place.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- This is the first time in program history that Lynn has won three consecutive tournaments to start a season.
- Lynn tied a school record with its third consecutive victory. It last happened in 2012-13.
- After becoming the winningest coach in program history at the Otter Invitational just a few weeks ago, Andrew Danna has now won his 18th tournament since taking the helm in 2012.
- Bustos, Tancred and Torres all improved on their second-round scores.
The Blue & White will head to Austin, Texas, to compete in the NCAA Golfweek D2 Invitational at the Horseshoe Bay Resort on Monday-Tuesday, Oct. 31-Nov. 1, with the team teeing off at 9:00 a.m. CT. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com