Marble Falls, Texas – Staring down a 12-stroke deficit at the start of the day, Lynn University's top-ranked men's golf team posted the second-lowest score of the third round, and third-lowest in the tournament, but fell by five shots to claim second place at the GolfWeek D2 Fall Invitational.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Location: Horseshoe Bay Resort | Marble Falls, Texas
History at Tournament: Second appearance at GolfWeek Fall Invite (5th place in 2013)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn's final round 291 was second only to Nova Southeastern and West Florida's 285 throughout the 54-hole event. Second-ranked West Florida dropped seven strokes but held on for a five-stroke victory 876-881. Nova Southeastern and Dallas Baptist (886) shared third place while sixth-ranked Barry (892) placed fifth.
- Two golfers, Felix Kvarnstrom and Mateo Gomez shot under par on the day with Kvarnstrom taking fifth indivually and Manuel Torres tying for seventh.
- Kvarnstrom traded two birdie putts with two bogeys in the first nine holes until he eagled the first hole after the turn and birdied the next to finish with a three-under 69 and even par 216 overall.
- Gomez also had more success on the back nine. He would knock down two birdies, a bogey and double bogey through nine holes only to make two birdie putts on the back nine and finish with a 71.
- Torres was up and down on the day. He hit four birdies, three bogeys, two double bogeys and one triple bogey but also nailed an eagle three to end the round with a 76. His two-over 218 was second on the team to Kvarnstromg.
- Martin Cancino was third on the team with a 223 and Carlos Bustos ended with a 232, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn ends the fall season with three victories and a runner-up finish.
- Kvarnstrom earns his third top-10 finish of the fall, tops among the Fighting Knights. He is one of four members of the Blue & White with at least two-top-10 finishes (Cancino, Gomez & Torres) while all six members of the team have posted at least one top-10 finish.
- Lynn led the field in par 5 (-12) scoring and total birdies (56), was second in par 4 scoring (+27) and third in par 3 (+18) scoring and eagles (two).
- Torres was second in the field in total birdies (14) and third in par 3 scoring (E) while Kvarnstrom was tied for second in par 5 (-7) scoring.
The Fighting Knights conclude play in the fall season and will return to the links on Monday, Feb. 13, at the Matlock Invitational hosted by Florida Southern at the Lone Palm Golf Course in Lakeland, Fla. Keep up with the squad at LynnFightingKnights.com.