Daytona Beach, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team is off to a hot start through two rounds on Thursday at Bethune-Cookman University's Gary Freeman Invitational. The Fighting Knights currently lead the pack by 15 strokes with junior Manuel Torres sitting in first place individually. Five Lynn golfers occupy the top-10 places through 36 holes.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Place: 1st of 11 teams
Location: LPGA International | Daytona Beach, Fla.
Par/Yardage: 72/6,984 yards
History at Event: Second appearance at course and tournament
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Lynn logged a 286 in the first round and followed up with a 291 in the afternoon – marking the two best rounds from any squad on the day – to total 577 (one-over par) through the first day of competition and sit atop the team standings.
- Host Bethune-Cookman currently holds second (592) and third (601) place with its 'A' and 'B' squads, followed by Morehead State in fourth (613) and Fort Wayne in fifth (618).
- Crosstown foe Florida Atlantic is in a tie for sixth with a score of 621, 44 strokes behind the Fighting Knights.
- Torres posted identical rounds of 71 to total a tournament-best two-under 142 through the first 36.
- Mateo Gomez is just one stroke behind Torres in a tie for second with Fort Wayne's Zach Schroeder, Toto Gana is in a tie for fourth (145), Carlos Bustos is four-over in ninth (148) and Martin Cancino is in a four-way tie for 10th at five-over (149).
- Felix Kvarnstrom, competing as an individual, ranks 21st with a 154.
- The Fighting Knights played in this tournament for the first time last spring, taking first out of 17 teams.
- Lynn posted the most birdies on the day (29), seven more than B-CU. The Fighting Knights also led the field in Par 3 and Par 4 scoring.
- Gomez and Torres each recorded a tournament-high eight birdies on the day while Gana led the field with 29 pars.
Lynn hits the course for the final round tomorrow, March 3 at 8 a.m.