Melbourne, Fla. – One of the top records in Lynn University men's golf program history inched a little closer to falling as Mateo Gomez tied the mark for career top-10 finishes while the team tied for second at the Panther Invitational. Gomez was one of three Fighting Knights to place within the top-10.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 2nd of 15 teams
Location: Duran Golf Club | Melbourne, Fla.
Par/Yardage: 72/7,017 yards
History at Event: Second appearance at event (T-6th in 2007)
Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot the third-lowest round of the day, 293, but couldn't make up enough ground to overcome Florida Southern (882). The Fighting Knights (885) tied with host Florida Tech for second with Barry (896) and Eastern Florida State College (902) rounding out the top-five.
- Gomez ended the 54-hole tournament with a one-over par 213, capped off with a one-under par 71 on the last day of competition. The senior from Cali, Colombia took third individually.
- Carlos Bustos tied for fifth with a three-round score of 222 and Felix Kvarnstrom tied for ninth with a 223 total.
- Co-medalists at the previous tournament, Manuel Torres and Martin Cancino posted rounds of 224 and 232, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Gomez earned his fifth top-10 finish this year, giving him 17 for his career. He is now tied with Daniel Young (2009-13) for the most in program history. Gomez is also tied with Henrik Nystrom for the most tournament victories in a career.
- This is the second time this year two freshman finished in the top-10 (Bustos/Kvarnstrom at the Otter Invite).
- Kvarnstrom earned his fourth career top-10 finish and Bustos picked up his second.
The Fighting Knights are back on the links at the Southeastern Collegiate at Kinderlou Forest Golf Club in Valdosta, Ga., beginning on Sunday, Mar. 12. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.