Valdosta, Ga. – An unfortunate slump in the final round bumped Lynn University's men's golf team down to third place out of 18 teams at the 2017 Southeastern Collegiate. Manuel Torres logged the lowest score on the day for the Fighting Knights while Felix Kvarnstrom earned a top-five finish.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 3rd of 18 teams
Location: Kinderlou Forest GC | Valdosta, Ga..
Par/Yardage: 72/7,363 yards
History at Event: 21st consecutive year participating (three-time runner-up)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot 300 as a team and closed out the 54-hole event with an 884 total, 15 shots back of West Florida (869) and one shot behind Barry (883). Florida Tech (888) claimed fourth with Florida Southern (889) rounded out the top-five.
- Kvarnstrom played steady golf the entire way, connecting on his third consecutive round of 73 for a 219 total and a tie for fifth place.
- Torres had his best day of the three-day tournament, carding an even par 72 en route to a 221. Along with Martin Cancino (221), the duo tied for 11th.
- Mateo Gomez ended the competition with a 54-hole score of 223 and Carlos Bustos added a 232, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn led the field in birdies (46), was second in par 4 scoring (+15) and third in par 3 scoring (+7).
- Four Fighting Knights were in the top-six in par 4 scoring: Torres (-1), Gomez, Cancino and Kvarnstrom (+1).
- Gomez tied for second in total birdies (11).
The Fighting Knights return to Georgia on Monday, Mar. 20, when they participate in the Bobcat Invitational at the Cuscowilla Golf Course in Eatonton, Ga. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.