Eatonton, Ga. – Lynn University's second-ranked men's golf team outlasted a field which consisted of the top-five teams in the nation, and 12 of the top-25, to win the Bobcat Invitational for the second consecutive year, and fifth time overall. Manuel Torres finished as the tournament's runner-up after falling in a one-hole playoff and Mateo Gomez became the program leader for career top-10 finishes.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 1st of 17 teams
Location: Cuscowilla on Lake Oconee | Eatonton, Ga.
History at Event: Eighth consecutive appearance (Won in 2010, 2011, 2013 & 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn ended the 54-hole tournament with a score of 872, six shots better than top-ranked West Florida (878) for first place. Lander (883) made the jump to third with a tournament-best round of 285 while North Alabama (886) and Nova Southeastern (888) rounded out the top-five.
- Torres carded a one-over par 71 on the last day while West Florida's Chandler Blanchet caught up with an even par 70. Torres, though, dropped the first playoff hole to the second-ranked golfer in the country among all college golfers to earn his fourth top-10 finish of the season
- Gomez continued his improvement from a tough first round, shooting a one-under par 69. His three-round score of 218 tied him with teammate Toto Gana for sixth in the field.
- Martin Cancino and Felix Kvarnstrom ended play with scores of 227 and 228.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Not only was this Lynn's fifth victory at the Bobcat Invite, but it is the fifth victory of the 2016-17 season.
- Andrew Danna won his 20th career tournament as head coach at Lynn and 23rd overall.
- Gomez earned his sixth top-10 finish this season and 18th of his career, surpassing the previous record of 17 held by Daniel Young (2009-13)
- Lynn has never finished outside the top-five at the Bobcat Invitational.
- This will be the final regular season event for Toto Gana as he will next participate at the 2017 Masters at Augusta National.
The Fighting Knights hit the links next at the Buccaneer Invitational starting Monday, Apr., 3, at Normandy Shores Golf Club in Miami Beach, Fla. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.