Melbourne, Fla. - Lynn University's men's golf team had its best day on the links with a three-under 285 to finish fourth overall at the 2017 Sunshine State Conference Championship. Manuel Torres did not defend his title successfully but did collect all-championship accolades.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 5th out of 10 teams
Location: The Duran Golf Club| Melbourne, Fla.
History at Event: 20th consecutive appearance (Won four times: 2004, 2006, 2015 & 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot the third-lowest round of the day for a four-under par 860 total. Barry (850) went wire-to-wire to claim the title with Saint Leo (856) finishing second and Florida Tech (858) third. Florida Southern (869) rounded out the top-five.
- Torres shot a two-under par 70 to end the tournament with a four-under par 212. He was eight shots back of the winner, Kyle Brey or Barry.
- Felix Kvarnstrom tied for seventh with a 54-hole score of 215.
- Mateo Gomez and Tomas Gana each logged rounds of 217 with Carlos Bustos adding a 225, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn led the field in par 4 scoring (E) and shared the lead with Florida Southern in total pars (175).
- Torres becomes only the fifth men's golfer in program history to finish in the top-five at the SSC Championship twice.
- Gomez and Torres were second in par 4 scoring (-3) while Kvarnstrom was tied for sixth (-1).
- Gana tied for the lead in total pars (39) in his first SSC Championship.
- Three Fighting Knights made their SSC Championship debut: Bustos, Gana and Kvarnstrom.
Lynn awaits its fate for the NCAA South/Southeast Super Regional to be held May 8-10, at the Robert Trent Jones Fighting Joe Course in Muscle Shoals, Ala. Fans can log on to LynnFightingKnights.com for more information.