Kissimmee, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team has some ground to make up after the first day of the NCAA Division II National Championship as it closed out the opening round of competition in 16th place. The top-eight teams after 54-holes advance to match-play for a chance to play for a national title. Martin Cancino shot the low round with a two-over par 72.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 16th out of 20 teams – First Round
Location: Reunion Resort | Kissimmee, Fla.
Par/Yardage: 70/7,054 yards
History at Event: Fifth consecutive NCAA National Championship appearance; 10th overall (runner-up in 2015, 2013 and 2011)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
"Today was difficult for us but our team has been down before and come back," said head coach Andrew Danna. "That's golf. Fortunately there are still 36 holes remaining and I know we plan to make the most of our opportunity."
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights shot 294 as a team to hold 16th place. They are only seven strokes behind eighth place.
- Barry (274) holds a two-shot lead over West Florida (276) with Florida Tech (277), Florida Southern (280), Newberry (282), Le Moyne (283), Ferris (286), North Alabama (287) and St. Thomas Aquinas (287) are the top-eight squads.
- Cancino was five-over par following a double-bogey on the No. 9 hole but turned it around on the back nine. He drained three consecutive birdie putts and was clean to end the back nine.
- Mateo Gomez shot a three-over par 73, with 12 pars, two birdies, three bogeys and one double.
- Felix Kvarnstrom was third on the team with a 74. He was five-over through 14 holes and finished strong by shooting one-under over the last four holes.
- Toto Gana matched Gomez with 12 pars but ended the day with bogeys on four of his final five holes. He was one-over par through nine holes and carded a five-over 75.
- Manuel Torres was the final score for Lynn with a 76 despite three birdies.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- The top-eight teams advance to match play; Lynn has participated in a NCAA Division II high five match play tournaments.
- Martin Cancino becomes the second golfer in program history to play in four consecutive national championships, joining Jose Miranda.
- This marks the fourth round this season the team failed to have a golfer shoot par or better.
The Fighting Knights begin the second round at 8:25 am from the No. 10 tee. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.