Bowling Green, Fla. - Lynn University's men's golf team shot 16-under par over 54-holes to finish second at the Griffin Invitational, the inaugural tournament of the 2017-18 season. Carlos Bustos set 18 and 54-hole career lows and Manuel Torres entered the top-10 in program history for top-10 finishes.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Results: 2nd of 15 teams
Location: Streamsong Resort – Blue Course | Bowling Green, Fla.
History at Event: First appearance
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Bustos was Lynn's top finisher, tying for seventh individually with scores of 68-66-76 for a six-under par 210.
- Torres was just one stroke behind his teammate (71-67-73) to tie for ninth.
- Reigning Phil Mickelson Outstanding Freshman of the Year recipient Felix Kvarnstrom ended the 54-hole event with scores of 70-69-75 for a 214 score.
- Toto Gana ended the tournament even par with a two-day score of 216 (72-71-73).
- Freshman Jorge Villar was Lynn's final member of the starting five and logged a 217 in his first career tournament, recording scores of 72-72-73.
- The Fighting Knights had three participants separate from the team: Freshmen Tyler Carlson (74-73-76=220) and Tyrone Clarke (74-76-77=227) and redshirt freshman Zachary Bariso (71-79).
- Lynn (848) was humming after 36-holes, sitting 10-shots back of the lead and 22-under par but a nine-over par 297 pushed them into third place. West Florida (836) claimed top honors followed by Limestone (846). Florida Southern (862) claimed fourth with Nova Southeastern (863) rounding out the top-five.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Torres logged his 12th career top-10 finish, tying him for eighth all-time at Lynn and putting him seven behind program leader, and former teammate, Mateo Gomez (19).
- Villar was one of four to make their Fighting Knights debut: Carlson, Clarke and Baristo.
- Bustos' second round 66 topped his previous 18-hole career-low by five shots while his 54-hole total was six shots better.
- This was Busto's fourth career top-10 finish.
- Kvarnstrom is the reigning Phil Mickelson NCAA Division II Outstanding Freshman of the Year, the second in program history (Ricardo Gouveia).
- This was Lynn's 24th consecutive tournament finishing in the top-five as a team.
The Fighting Knights are back on the links Saturday, Oct. 7, at the David Toms Intercollegiate hosted by Louisiana State University at the University Club in Baton Rouge, La. Keep up with the action on LynnFightingKnights.com.