Doral, Fla. – Lynn University's second-ranked men's golf team kept its top-five streak alive by jumping three positions to finish fifth at the Miami Intercollegiate. Toto Gana earned a top-10 finish, Jorge Villar posted the lowest score and the Fighting Knights notched their 26th consecutive top-five team finish.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Results: 5th out of 14 teams
Location: Doral Golf Resort | Doral, Fla.
History at Event: First appearance
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn posted a 12-stroke improvement from the second round for a two-under par 278 and a 860 total. The Fighting Knights jumped ahead of Barry and Lincoln Memorial. West Florida (825) claimed the top spot ahead of Florida Southern (834), Nova Southeastern (841) and Florida Tech (858).
- Toto Gana collected his second consecutive top-10 finish, shooting an even par 70 on the final day for a one-over par 211, 11 shots back of the winner John Van Der Laan of Florida Soutern.
- Manuel Torres matched his teammate with the even par 70 and closed out play tied for 14th with a 213 total.
- Villar logged the low round for the day and the tournament for the Blue and White, shooting a four-under par 66. His 217 moved him into a tie for 25th.
- Tyronne Clark and Felix Kvarnstrom rounded out the top-five contingent for Lynn with rounds of 223 and 232.
- Justin Wynen continued his improved play round-by-round, boasting a one-under par 69 after rounds of 78 and 73. He tied for 37th separate from the team
- Tyler Carlson shot a 223 and Zachary Bariso logged a score of 230.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn's final round 278 was the sixth-lowest of the tournament.
- Villar's 66 was a career-best and tied Carlos Bustos for the lowest 18-hole total of the year for the Fighting Knights.
- Gana has consecutive top-10 finishes.
- Wynen made his debut with the Fighting Knights.
- Lynn's last finish outside the top-five came Oct. 13, 2015 at the Guy Harvey Invitational.
The Fighting Knights end the fall season and will pick up play on Jan. 28, 2018 when they host Seton Hall in a dual match showdown at Osprey Point Golf Course in Boca Raton, Fla., as part of the South Florida Showdown.