BOCA RATON, Fla. – The fifth installment of Lynn University's South Florida Showdown ended in a draw as the men's golf team tied Seton Hall 3-3-1 on Saturday afternoon. Both teams battled 20-30 mile per hour winds at the Osprey Point Golf Course with the Fighting Knights' Carlos Bustos, Tyrone Clarke and Manuel Torres each earning head-to-head victories.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Results: Tied 3-3-1 overall
Location: Osprey Point Golf Course | Boca Raton, Fla.
History at Event: First Appearance
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Jorge Villar was the first to start and finish for the Fighting Knights as he reached the turn two up but George Tait rallied with five back-nine birdies to take a one up lead heading to the 18th hole. Villar, though, battled back and earned a half point by drawing with Tait.
- Carlos Bustos and Tyrone Clarke led their opponents, Alex McAuley and Alex Chalk from start to finish. Bustos led by as many as three and finished off McAuley 2 & 1 while Clarke held a lead of two holes and ended his standoff with Chalk 2 & 1.
- Freshman Chandler McDowell had the difficult assignment of taking on senior Linus Yip of SHU. The Alberta, Canada, product has his ups and downs, trailing by two shots, moving even and leading by one but eventually fell two-up to Yip.
- Justin Wynen also trailed early to his opponent, Andres Acevedo, but would turn his fortunes around on the back nine where he led one up with two holes to go. Acevedo stuck it close on hole No. 17 to draw all square before turning the match in his favor on the final hole.
- Toto Gana battled Pirate's no. 1 golfer Chris Yeom and led by two shots. Yeom, though, fought back against the former Latin American Amateur Champion and traded back and forth barbs with Gana before eventually winning one-up.
- The match would be decided by senior Manuel Torres. The Caracas, Venezuela, native led by three holes midway through the event only to see Gen Nagai inch his way back into contention. Torres took the lead for good on the 17th hole. Nagai had a chance to tie the match but his chip shot ran long to give Torres the one-up victory.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Gana lost his first match play event as a member of the Fighting Knights. He went 3-0 for Lynn at the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship.
- Only Torres and Gana have played in match play events for the Blue and White.
- This is the fifth event in the South Florida Showdown. Lynn previous claimed victories in men's soccer against Florida Atlantic and men's basketball versus Houston (via a cancellation) and lost to FAU in both men's and women's basketball.
- There are four remaining matches in #SoFloShow: women's tennis vs. Stetson (Feb. 3), baseball vs. Eastern Michigan (Feb. 20) and men's tennis vs. FAU and Georgetown (Feb. 24 and Mar. 6).
The Fighting Knights begin the regular season at the Matlock Invitational in Lakeland, Fla., at the Lone Palm Golf Course starting on Monday, Feb. 12. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.