Lakeland, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team shot eight-under par as a team and is in fifth place after 36 holes of the Matlock Collegiate Classic. Jorge Villar is the low scorer for Lynn and is tied for ninth.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Location: Lone Palm Golf Course | Lakeland, Fla.
History at Event: 15th consecutive year participating (3rd in 2017; won in 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot under par as a team in both rounds, starting the day with a three-under par 285 before closing things out with a five-under par 283. The Fighting Knights eight-under 568 is 12 shots back of the leader, host Florida Southern (556).
- Barry (561) led after the opening round but dropped to second ahead of Nova Southeastern (564) and West Florida (565).
- Villar traded six birdies with two bogeys in the opening round (68). The freshman then sank four more birdies to go along with two bogeys and a double to end the day four-under par and tied for ninth.
- Toto Gana had a rough start, bogeying three of his first five holes but rallied for three birdies in four holes. An eagle on the par 5 No. 2 hole pushed him two-under but a bogey ended his opening round. Gana was one-under over the second round, exchanging four birdies and three bogeys throughout the last 18 holes
- Manuel Torres was one-under par through nine holes and was three-under at one point but ended the first 18-holes with two bogeys and a double. Torres was hot to start the second round with birdies on his first two holes and another on his eighth hole. He would finish three-under and tied for 17th with Gana.
- Carlos Bustos turned around a potentially disastrous day after falling to five-over par through nine holes but the sophomore birdied four of his final six holes to end one-over par. He followed with a 72 and is +1 through 36-holes.
- Felix Kvarnstrom was six-over through 18 holes but rallied for an even par 72 in round two.
- A pair of Moccasins share the overall lead with John Coultas and John VanDerLaan each scoring a nine-under 135 through 36 holes.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn is tied for third in par 4 scoring (-1) and tied for fourth in total birdies (37).
- Freshman Jorge Villar is tied for second in par 5 scoring (-5) and tied for fourth in total birdies (10).
- Gana recorded one of 14 eagles on the day.
- Villar is looking for his first career top-10 finish.
Lynn returns to the links with an 8:30 shotgun start. Fans can keep up with the action on LynnFightingKnights.com.