Lakeland, Fla. - Lynn University's men's golf team saw its string of consecutive top-five finishes come to an end following an eighth place finish at the Matlock Collegiate Classic. This is the first time since October 2015 the Fighting Knights finished outside the top-five.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Location: Lone Palm Golf Course | Lakeland, Fla.
History at Event: 15th consecutive year participating (3rd in 2017; won in 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn notched its highest score of the 54-hole event, posting a two-over par 290. The Fighting Knights (857) ended the tournament 22 shots back of winner and host Florida Southern (835)
- Barry (841) took second followed by West Alabama (844), Nova Southeastern (849) and Rollins (854) and Florida Tech (854).
- Manuel Torres and Felix Kvarnstrom were the only members of the Blue and White to shoot even par. Torres traded four birdies with two bogeys and one double-bogey. He tied for 3th individually.
- Kvarnstrom shot one-under par since ending the first round at six-over par. He connected on 16 pars with one birdie and one bogey.
- Toto Gana and Jorge Villar tied for 22nd apiece. Gana was one-over par while Villar shot a three-over 75.
- Carlos Bustos shot 73 for a 54-hole score of 217, tying for 32nd individually.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD
- The last time Lynn finished outside the top-five was at the Guy Harvey Invite on Oct. 13, 2015.
- Lynn had 26 consecutive top-five finishes prior to the Matlock Collegiate.
- Toto Gana and Jorge Villar were tied for the lead in par 5 scoring (-8).
- Lynn shared the lead in par 5 scoring (-23) as a team but ranked near the bottom in par 3 scoring. The squad was also tied for fifth in total pars (170).
Lynn is back on the links for the Southeastern Collegiate beginning Sunday, Mar. 11, at the Kinderlou Forest Golf Club in Valdosta, Ga. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.