Valdosta, Ga. – Lynn University's men's golf team is in 13th place out of 18 teams after the first round of the Southeastern Collegiate. Manuel Torres was the lone golfer to shoot under par and is tied for 20th individually.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 13 of 18 teams
Location: Kinderlou Forest GC | Valdosta, Ga..
Par/Yardage: 72/7,363 yards
History at Event: 22nd consecutive year participating (three-time runner-up)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot a 294 in the opening round to end the day six-over par. Top-ranked West Florida holds the overall lead at 277 followed by Lander (279), Rollins (282), Newberry (283) and Barry (284).
- Torres started the day solid, shooting one-under on the front nine. A bogey on the 11th hole moved him even but he birdied the next hole and logged pars on the next six holes to end the round with a one-under 71.
- Tyrone Clarke exchanged two birdies with three bogeys in his third appearance of the year. His one-over 73 has him in a tie for 33rd.
- Jorge Villar shot a two-over par 74. He had three bogeys and a birdie on the front nine and another birdie on the 12th hole but ended play with a birdie and five pars on the next six holes.
- Carlos Bustos and Felix Kvarnstrom rounded out the Lynn contingent with scores of 76 and 79, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn is tied for sixth in par 4 scoring (+6) and leads the field with 64 pars.
- Torres is tied for fourth in par 4 scoring (-2) and total pars (15).
- Clarke's 73 is one shot off his career-best.
The Fighting Knights tee off the second round beginning at 10:15 am from the 10th hole. Fans can keep up with action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.