BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team put on a golfing clinic for the 18 NCAA Division I schools in attendance for the FAU Spring Championship as it dominated the field to win by 19 strokes. The Fighting Knights posted a 54-hole program and tournament record total, Carlos Bustos notched the second-lowest individual 54-hole total in school history and all five starters finished in the top-10.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standings: 1st out of 19 teams
Location: Osprey Point Golf Course (Raven & Falcon) | Boca Raton, Fla.
History at Event: First appearance
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn topped its second round total by one stroke (272) to pull away from the field with an 826 score. Runner-up Connecticut (845) was 19-shots back and five ahead of Jacksonville State (850). Houston Baptist (851) dropped one spot with Georgetown (857) rounding out the top-five.
- How do you top shooting the second-lowest 18-hole score in program history? Carlos Bustos followed with the third-lowest 18-hole score trading eight birdies and one bogey for a seven-under 65.
- Manuel Torres tied for third four shots back of Bustos. His second consecutive 68 gave him three straight rounds under par. He started the day with three consecutive birdies and ended with five birdies and one bogey.
- Felix Kvarnstrom also shot a final round 68 en route to taking ninth. He connected on six birdie putts and added two bogeys.
- Last but certainly not least is Toto Gana and Jorge Villar. The duo had similar lines with Gana going 69-72-71 and Villar shooting 72-69-71 for 212 totals. They both tied for 10th.
- Tyrone Clarke was the second-best finisher among individuals not affiliated with a team. His 213 tied him for 17th.
- Justin Wynen ended the tournament with a three-under 69 for a 216 total and a tie for 27th. Ethan Dong logged a 225 in his first career tournament and Tyler Carlson shot a 232, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn was the only NCAA Division II institution to compete at the FAU Spring Championship.
- This marks the ninth consecutive year the Fighting Knights have won at least one tournament.
- All five Lynn starters earned top-10 finishes for the first time since the Gary Freeman B-CU Spring Invite on March 3, 2017.
- Bustos' 202 ties for the second-lowest 54-hole score in program history and lowest since Mateo Gomez set the record with a 201 at the Saint Leo Invite (Sep. 29, 2015).
- This is the first time in program history two golfers shot 206 or better in the same tournament.
- Torres tied his career-best and the T-5th lowest total in school history
- Lynn's 272 bested its mark from the previous day and is now the third-lowest 18-hole total in program history
- Lynn's 826 total is a new program record, besting the previous record by a whopping 10 shots.
- The 54-hole total is also a FAU Spring Championship record, beating past winners such as UCF, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Illinois and Florida State.
- Clarke beat his previous season-best by 10 shots and was joined by Wynen and Villar with carer-best totals.
- Kvarnstrom tied his career-best total.
- Bustos led the field with 19 birdies, was tied for the lead in par 3 scoring (-2) and was second in both par 5 scoring (-8) and eagles (2).
- Kvarnstrom was tied for second in par 4 scoring (-8) and Torres was tied for fourth in par 3 scoring (-1) and par 4 scoring (-6).
- This is the 21st victory under head coach Andrew Danna and the 46th in school history.
The Fighting Knights are back on the links at the Battle at the Shores in Miami Beach, Fla., at the Normandy Shores Golf Club. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.