Miami Beach, Fla. – A putt on the final hole to force a playoff came up just short as Lynn University's men's golf team finished runner-up at the Battle at the Shores on Tuesday. All five Fighting Knights finished in the top-16 with Toto Gana and Felix Kvarnstromg placing in the top-10.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 2nd of 18 teams
Location: Normandy Shores Golf Club | Miami Beach, Fla.
Par/Yardage: 71 / 6,733
History at Event: Fourth consecutive appearance, 12th overall (Won in 2005 & 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue and White pieced together the second-lowest round on the day (280) to finish with a 54-hole score of 840, one-shot back of Florida Southern (839). Nova Southeastern placed third (843) followed by host Barry (845) and Florida Tech (855).
- Gana traded three birdies with two bogeys for a one-under par final round. He closed out play five-under par and tied for fourth individually.
- Kvarnstrom weathered a rough opening nine holes with three bogeys to finish strong with birdies on three of his final holes. He ended with an even par 71, was two-under par for the tournament and tied for ninth individually.
- Jorge Villar claimed 15th place. The freshman sank five birdie putts to go along with three bogeys and a double.
- Carlos Bustos shot the lowest round of the day for Lynn with a three-under par 68. He knocked down two birdies with one bogey on the front nine and three more birdies to one bogey on the back. He tied for 16th along with Manuel Torres, who posted an even-par 71.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn carried the field in total birdies (62) and par 4 scoring (+4) and was second in par 3 scoring (+2).
- The top-five teams all hail from the Sunshine State Conference.
- Gana led the field in total pars (39) and was tied with John Coultas of Florida Southern in par 4 scoring (-4).
- Villar tied with Coultas for second in total birdies with 15, two back of the leader, while Torres connected on 14 birdie putts. Four of the Fighting Knights sank 10 or more birdie putts in total.
The Battle at the Shores is the final tune-up for Lynn before competing in the Sunshine State Conference Championship, which begins Sunday, April 22, at the Grande Oaks Country Club in Davie, Fla. Check out LynnFightingKnights.com for more information.