Davie, Fla. - Lynn University's men's golf team weathered the South Florida storms and is fifth after the first day of competition at the Sunshine State Conference Men's Golf Championship. Toto Gana and Manuel Torres each posted sub-par rounds for the Fighting Knights and are within the top-10.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 5th out of 11 teams
Location: Grande Oaks Golf Club| Davie, Fla.
History at Event: 21st consecutive appearance (Won four times: 2004, 2006, 2015 & 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Rain and lightning delayed the start of the round by nearly five hours but once the moisture settled, the Blue and White shot a five-over par 289. Florida Tech owns the lead at 278 followed by Barry (280), Florida Southern (282), Rollins (287) and Lynn.
- Gana had one hiccup on the day, posting a bogey 5 on his second hole but played the remaining 16 holes three-under par to shoot a two-under 69 in the opening round. He is tied for fifth and one shot off the lead.
- Manuel Torres was similar, bogeying his first hole only to shoot two-under par the next 17 holes. His one-under 70 has him in a tie for 10th.
- Carlos Bustos actually led the team with five birdie putts but a triple bogey on hole No. 18 put him over par. He rallied with a birdie at the end of the round to shoot a two-over 73.
- In his first SSC Championship Jorge Villar posted a six-over 77 while Felix Kvarnstrom shot a seven-over 78.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Gana has shot par or better in each of his last seven rounds and 15 out of 21 rounds this season.
- Torres won this event in 2016, just the second time a member of the Fighting Knights won the SSC Championship individual title.
- Lynn is second in par 5 scoring (-6), third in total pars (57) and tied for fourth in total birdies (15) as a team.
- Individually, Torres is tied for second in par 4 scoring (-1) along with Gana while Bustos and Kvarnstrom are tied for third in par 5 scoring (-2).
- Torres and Gana are second in third in total pars with Bustos tied for fourth with five birdies.
Lynn is back on the links for the second round beginning at 7:30 from the first tee. The Blue and White are grouped with Rollins and Saint Leo. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.