Davie, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team shot the third-lowest single round in Sunshine State Conference Championship history but the team placed fifth overall. Toto Gana and Manuel Torres each logged top-10 finishes while four Fighting Knights ended the day with rounds of two-under par or better.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 5th out of 11 teams
Location: Grande Oaks Golf Club| Davie, Fla.
History at Event: 21st consecutive appearance (Won four times: 2004, 2006, 2015 & 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot an 11-under par 273 to finish with an eight-under par 844 total. Florida Tech ran away with the tournament as its 16-under par broke the SSC Championship record for lowest team score for a single round while its 19-under 833 tied the league record.
- Florida Southern (837) took second, followed by Barry (839) and host Nova Southeastern (843).
- Toto Gana shot a two-under 69 to place ninth. He was four-under par after a birdie on the par 5, 15th hole but bogeyed the next two holes to drop out of the top-five.
- Manuel Torres connected on four birdies with one bogey for a three-under 68. His 210 total was good enough for a tie for 10th place.
- Felix Kvarnstrom overcame a difficult first round to post scores of 67 and 68 (-7) the next two rounds. He sank four birdies with one eagle and three bogeys in the final round.
- Jorge Villar rounded out the under-par scores for the Blue and White. His three-under 68 came with seven birdies and four bogeys.
- Carlos Bustos shot 221 for the tournament.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- As a team, Lynn shot seven-under par on the par 5, No. 15 hole in the third round compared to three-under the previous two rounds combined.
- Gana's extended his string of consecutive rounds of par or better to nine rounds.
- Torres finished in the top-10 in all three SSC Championships he competed in, matching Lynn Hall of Famer Hoyt McGarity for the most in program history.
- In addition, Torres logged his 15th career top-10 finish, putting him in fifth place in program history
- Lynn was third in par 5 scoring for the tournament (-21) and tied for the tournament lead with three eagles (all on the final day).
- Kvarnstrom was six-under while Villar and Gana five-under in par 5 scoring.
- Torres was three-under in par 4 scoring and shared in the lead with 39 total pars. Gana was just one behind with 38.
The Fighting Knights await their fate for the NCAA Tournament, where they are looking to qualify for the 16th consecutive year. The NCAA South/Southeast Regional will take place Monday-Wednesday, May 7-9, at the Rock Barn CC in Conover, N.C. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.