Conover, N.C. – It was a great opening day on the links for the Lynn University men's golf team as the squad is in second place after the first round of the NCAA Division II South/Southeast Regional. Manuel Torres has a share of the lead and the team is just two shots back of the lead. The top seven teams advance to the NCAA Division II National Championship.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 2nd of 20 teams
Location: Rock Barn Golf & Spa | Conover, N.C.
History at Event: 16th consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance (national runner-up at Rock Barn in 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot an even par 284 as a team while top-ranked West Florida posted a two-under par 282. Barry (287) is third followed by Lander (292), Florida Southern (293) and Columbus State (293).
- Torres is tied with Tom Forster (Carson-Newman) for the individual lead after carding a four-under par 67. The senior out of Caracas, Venezuela, was one-under at the turn and then rattled off four consecutive birdies to move to five-under. A bogey on his 16th hole dropped him to three-under but he birdied his next hole.
- Felix Kvarnstrom and Toto Gana are tied for 21st with rounds of 72. Kvarnstrom started hot with birdies on two of his first three holes before mixing one birdie between three bogeys. He would shoot one-over through his next nine holes.
- Gana began the day with a bogey on his first hole. He would go on to sink two birdie putts and move to one-under only to make bogey on two of the next five holes.
- Jorge Villar had some freshman nerves through his first few holes but settled down to shoot a two-over par 73. He traded two birdies with four bogeys.
- Carlos Bustos shot a five-over par 76 but most of the damage came on his second hole which he tripled. He was two-over par after that exchange.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Torres is looking to win the South/Southeast Regional for the second time in his career. He took top honors in 2016. A victory would make him the first in program history to win two NCAA regionals.
- The top-11 teams in the nation are all competing in the South/Southeast Regional.
- Lynn leads the entire field with 17 birdies, two more than the next institution. The Blue and White tied for the lead with West Florida in par 4 scoring (+1) and is tied for second in par 5 scoring (-3).
- Only two golfers logged better par 4 scoring than Torres and Kvarnstrom (-2) while Torres leads the field with seven birdies.
Lynn is back in action for the second round beginning with a 7:30 tee time from the No. 1 hole along with Barry and Lincoln Memorial. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.