Conover, N.C. - Lynn University's men's golf team dropped to fourth overall at the NCAA Division II South/Southeast Regional but is in a prime position to finish in the top-seven and advance to its sixth consecutive national championship. Manuel Torres is fifth individually while Jorge Villar is just outside the top-10 after a two-under par performance.
The top seven teams, and top three individuals not associated with a top-seven team, advance to the NCAA Division II National Championship
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 4th of 20 teams
Location: Rock Barn Golf & Spa | Conover, N.C.
History at Event: 16th consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance (national runner-up at Rock Barn in 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue and White dropped two positions following a second round 289. Their 573 score through 36-holes is 11 shots better than fifth place Lincoln Memorial and Rollins (584) and 12 strokes ahead of seventh place Carson-Newman (585).
- West Florida (567) remains in first with Florida Southern and Barry (569) tied for second.
- Torres had just one blemish on the day, a double-bogey on his seventh hole, but birdied his last hole to shoot a one-over 72. He is tied for fifth at three-under par for the tournament.
- Villar proved the biggest assistance on the day. He birdied two of his first three holes but ran into trouble on hole Nos. 8, 9 & 11. The freshman regained his confidence and drained birdies on three consecutive holes to finish the round with a two-under par 69. He is even par through 36-holes.
- Both Toto Gana and Felix Kvarnstrom shot scores of 74 and are each +4 for the tournament. Gana had two birdies but a triple and double bogey. Kvarnstrom connected on two birds with three bogeys and one double.
- Carlos Bustos improved one stroke from the previous day for a four-over 75.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn is aiming for its sixth consecutive NCAA Division II National Championship appearance and 11th overall.
- A top-10 finish for Torres would give him 16 in his career and put him into a tie for third place all-time in program history.
- Gana has shot over-par in back-to-back rounds for just the the first time since the David Toms Intercollegiate Oct. 7-8, 2017.
Lynn is back on the links for the final round of the NCAA Division II South/Southeast Regional beginning at noon from the No. 1 hole. The Blue and White will be grouped with Lincoln Memorial for the third consecutive round and Rollins. Fans can follow live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.