Muscle Shoals, Ala. – Lynn University's men's golf team is in sixth place after the opening round of the 2018 NCAA Division II National Championship. Toto Gana is seventh individually for the Fighting Knights in the team's quest for a 24th national championship.
The top-8 teams after 54-holes advances to match play. Lynn has advanced to match play an NCAA Division II best six times, finishing as the national runner-up in 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 6th out of 20 teams
Location: Robert Trent Jones at the Shoals – Fighting Joe Course | Muscle Shoals, Ala.
History at Event: Sixth consecutive national championship appearance; 12th overall (Finished runner-up at RTJ – the Shoals in 2011).
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot a one-over par team round of 289 and is three-shots ahead of Saint Leo (292) and four ahead of Missouri-St. Louis. Top-ranked West Florida (279) had the low team score, followed by Indianapolis (280), Florida Southern (281), Arkansas Tech (284) and Barry (286).
- Gana began the day with a bogey on the second hole, one of just two blemishes on his scorecard. He went on a four-hole birdie run to close the front nine, hitting the turn at three-under par. He would bogey the par 5 No. 12 hole but was undeterred on the final par 5, No. 17, to birdie and end with a three-under 69. He is three strokes back of the leader, John VanDerLaan from Florida Southern.
- Felix Kvarnstrom posted an even par 72 after a tough front nine in which he logged three bogeys and one birdie. On the back nine he birdied No. 10, bogeyed his next hole and then went on a four-hole par run before knocking down birdies on Nos. 16 and 17.
- Bustos was three-over after nine holes but grinded out three birdies over his final seven holes for a one-over par 73.
- Manuel Torres and Jorge Villar carded scores of 75 and 80, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn is fifth in par 5 scoring (-4), tied for sixth in par 4 scoring (+8). The squad is in the middle of the field in total pars (56) and birdies (14).
- Gana (-1) is one shot off the leaders in par 3 scoring while Bustos and Kvarnstrom (-2) are two strokes back in par 5 scoring.
- Gana shot a 69 for the second consecutive round and fourth time in his last seven rounds.
Lynn continues its quest for a national title when it tees off the second round from the 10th hole beginning at 12 p.m. The Fighting Knights will once again be grouped with Colorado-Colorado Springs and Southeastern Oklahoma State. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.