Columbus, Ga. - Lynn University's second-ranked men's golf team returned to the links at the Cougar Invitational presented by AFLAC five months after winning the 2018 NCAA Division II National Championship. Jorge Villar is tied for 10th individually while the team is in 11th place.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 11th of 17 teams
Location: Country Club of Columbus | Columbus, Ga.
History at Event: Fourth appearance (T-2nd in 2011)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights were three-over par after the first round and ended the day with an 11-over 579 team score. Valdosta State (568) is the only school to shoot even par, followed by Carson-Newman (569), Florida Tech (570), Limestone (573) and Florida Southern (573).
- Villar is the lone Fighting Knight to shoot under par on the day. He posted a one-over 72 in round one before logging a two-under 69 in the second round. He is tied for 10th and four shots off the lead.
- Toto Gana connected on rounds of 72-73 for a 145 total.
- Felix Kvarnstrom and Justin Wynen have a one shot difference between them (147 and 148) while Carlos Bustos is fifth on the team with a 150 total.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn is tied for the lead in the field in par 3 scoring at six-over par and is second in the field of 17 in par 5 scoring (-11).
- Villar is tied for fifth in par 3 (E) and par 5 (-4) scoring and shares the overall lead with 10 birdies.
- There are five teams ranked in the top-10 and eight of the top-25 teams in the country at this tournament.
The Fighting Knights tee off for the final round of the Cougar Invitational beginning at 8:35 am from the No. 10 hole. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.