Daniels, W.Va. – Both Lynn University's golf team and Jorge Villar hold the lead after 36-holes at the NCAA DII Preview. Villar has a three-stroke advantage over the second-place individual, teammate Toto Gana.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 1st of 17 teams
Location: Cobb Course at Glade Springs | Daniels, W.Va.
History at Event: Fourth appearance (won in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights (556) were one-over par after the first round and then posted the lowest score of the tournament, a 13-under par 271, and holds a three-stroke lead over Barry (559).
- St. Mary's (Texas) is third at 575, followed by Wingate (578) and Southern Wesleyan (578).
- Villar posted a one-under 70 to start the day was on fire in the second round with a seven-under 64 for a 134 total.
- Gana was nearly as impressive with rounds of 69-67 for a six-under par 136.
- Carlos Bustos and Felix Kvarnstrom have matching scores after 36-holes, both scoring 143s to tie for 13th.
- Justin Wynen added a 155 for Lynn.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Villar is looking for his first career tournament victory.
- His 64 is tied for the second-lowest score in program history. He is one of six golfers with rounds of 64 or better.
- Both Villar and Gana's scores rank first and second in program history through 36-holes.
- The Cobb Course at Glades Springs will be the site of the 2019 NCAA Division II National Championship.
Lynn closes out the final round of the NCAA DII Preview beginning at 8 a.m. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.